Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m 

HP Recommended

Ok I’ve hard reset my 6970. But still it comes up asking for a password for admin. I never changed the 123456798 password and I have anew account now in HP settings for it. It’s ip didn’t change. I knew I had not done this and it had to be a software or hardware glitch because I keep up with everything. Can you please tell me what the password is for this printer. I’ve tried my WiFi password, the above 1-8, and even the new color pin. Nothing is working 

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues.

When I use HP Smart application on my laptop and go to Printer Settings, then go to Advanced -> Printer Home Page (EWS) there are a variety of parts that are locked including:

Energy Save Mode

Web Services

Printer Update

Print Quality Toolbox

Wireless Setup Wizard

Wi-Fi Direct

If I go to Settings or any of the above a pop-up appears that asks for a username and password (assuming this to be admin).

Could you please message me directly to assist?

I have having lots of issues and it makes me want to buy another printer as I cannot print!

HP Recommended

There is still no answer to this question.

I tried 'admin' and 'password' to logon but to no avail.  I have tried resetting the device through Support menu.  Again, it still asks for an administrator account to logon.  There HAS to be a way to access / reset this.

Please can someone from HP respond?

HP Recommended

OK, I think I resolved this.  This is what I had to do in case it helps others.

Step 1)

I went to the printer itself and took it off wifi and plugged it into the router directly.

Step 2)

I downloaded the HP 6970 document from the HP website and went to page 130 which reads: Restore original factory defaults and settings.

Step 3)

I followed the steps that outlined: Restore Factory Defaults.

This did not completely resolve things, so waited for the printer to reboot and get re-assigned an IP address.

Step 4)

Went to Settings -> Network Setup -> Restore Network Settings -> Yes.

Then I waited for the device to be reset.

Step 5)

Went to Settings -> Web Services Setup -> Accept -> OK -> Automatically receive updates (this step didn't work before until the ones above were followed). I followed instructions to setup the Web Services.

Then voila, no longer was there a default password enabled in the web services, which I could check by going to the IP address of the printer on the network.  If you want to setup a password, go to Settings -> Password Settings / Administrator Settings to set that up.

The only other option I can think of is before all of that I used the hidden Support menu to reset the printer (Step 0).  If you need help doing that, have an HP employee contact you directly.

This is now resolved.

HP Recommended

I am unable to reset my printer to any of the factory settings, defaults, etc. The message says "the feature has been locked by the person who set up the printer" that would be me. Where do I find administrator access?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.