Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy C5540 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows10. I installed the 5540 full software/driver download for Windows 10. Now, in the panels for print setup I no longer have the option to select the 4X6 photo tray or the option to select HP Photo Paper. All I see is the main tray and standard letter and presentation papers. The photo options were always available in the Windows 7 software. My main reason for getting this printer was to print 4X6 photos so I am desperate to get this working again. Am I missing something here? Did I do something wrong in the install? Please help!

Thanks

MarkinStPaul

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@MarkinStPaul

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Please perform a root level uninstall and reinstall of printer drivers: 

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here And, also update printer firmware from the same link. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake

Thanks for the response. I followed the instructions but still have the issue.

When printing from Word my only selection option is Main Tray. No Photo Tray.

Word1.jpg

And also the Media options do not include HP Photo Papers.

Word2.jpg

Both of these options were available when I was using Windows 7.

When printing from Gimp, selecting Preferences produces thei error and the program locksup for 30 seconds or so..

gimp error.jpg

When I try printing from the native Windows 10 photo app the Tray and Photo Paper options do appear in it's setup panel but when actually printing everything reverts to it's default settings - Main Tray, Plain Paper, and the print is in Monochrome.

Photo.jpg

I hope this info helps in the resolution of the issue.

Thanks

Mark

HP Recommended

@MarkinStPaul

HP Smart helps you to set up, scan, print, and manage your HP printer settings. Let's try with HP Smart App and check.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake

Thanks again, I will try the HP Smart app. I was not aware that there was a version that runs on Windows 10. The HP website focuses on the mobile versions.

I wil not be able to fiddle with this, probably until next weekend, at which time I will report my results.

Mark

HP Recommended

@MarkinStPaul

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

Have a nice day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake

OK, I installed Smart Print. It does not solve the problem. When I choose Print Photos I am taken to the same printing interface I get when double-clicking on a photo in Windows 10 (as described in an earlier post.) This interface appears to allow the setting of paper tray, paper size, paper type, color, borderless, etc, but before printing these settings revert to defaults - main tray, plain paper, with border, monochrome.
I followed the Smart Print link to the Printer Web Page. There I was able to set the Main Tray to Photo Paper, but that too reverts to Plain Paper when I leave that page and had no effect on the behavior of the printing interface.
After all this, I am inclined to believe that the Windows 10 interface to this printer just does not support all of its functionality. I have not seen even one indication that it can print on photo paper from the MainTtray or print from the Photo Tray at all. If that is really the case please just tell me so I can stop beating my head against it. 
I know it is not your fault Echo_Lake, but it is very disappointing to think that the printer may be basically junk after just 2.5 years of ownership. 
A question... Is it possible to install the old full-featured Windows 7 driver in Windows 10? (The current Windows 7 driver is the same as the Windows 10 one, I know because I tried it.) If it is possible where can I find it?
HP Recommended

@MarkinStPaul
Let's try this method to Install an alternate print driver in Windows 7 for products that do not have a specific driver available. The alternate print driver allows you to perform basic. Click here for video.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just saw this thread and I have the exact same problem.  I tried removing the print driver and reloading the entire software package - and that did nothing.  I tried to print a print from Photoshop and got the same exception error that was part of this thread (earlier).  I have a Windows 8.1 system from work and it works perfectly - allowing me select the photo tray.  I also noticed that the print driver for 8.1 is exactly the same version and data as for windows 10.  Please - I hope someone has figured this out.

HP Recommended

Sadly, I gave up. In addition to the "solutions" I tried (as described earlier) I also set up an Ubuntu Linux machine with the HP driver and got basically the same results as with Windows 10. I tried the "web" interface from my Chromebook, but I pretty much knew that would not solve the problem - and it didn't. I even installed the Windows 10 driver for a similar but newer HP printer. The setup for that driver would not recognize my model.

On top of that I never even got around to explaining (complaining about) the similar issues I encountered with scanning while using the different drivers and platforms.

What's needed is - note this, HP engineers - a printer with all the "smarts" built in. One that allows all printing and scanning functionality to be accessed through a browser interface. I know this would be possible because I have a Synology NAS that allows full control of its DSM operating system from a browser window. No drivers needed. With multiple platforms and operating systems we have today this seems like the only viable plan for the future. Think about it HP, you would have to supply only one interface, and never have to write another driver. The savings in development and support costs would easily pay for any extra hardware needed in the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.