Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HaHaHa on HP.  That worked.  Thank you so much.  This was soooooo chicken s#@t of HP to do this.  I just wasted an hour of my life going through this so I could print out my kids' homework for this week.  After this anti-customer act by HP, I will NEVER buy an HP Product again.  I will trash my printer and buy any other brand before I buy your over-priced GD toner.  I was going to buy a new printer next weekend for the upstairs.  Guess what brand it won't be.  HP, you blew it!

HP Recommended

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

This site has it.  Worked for me.  Never buying HP again after this anti-customer behavior.

HP Recommended

I had to do it four or five times.  It finally took.  Never buying HP again after this anti-customer act.

HP Recommended

I reset the software to original settings.  Then it took.

HP Recommended

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/

I got it from this link.  After doing factory reset, it finally took.  Printing again.  Never buying HP again.  Totally Anti-customer.

HP Recommended

@JWK21 - This is exactly my problem. I cannot do anything with the firmware because the minute I connect to the network cable or wireless the printer reboots continuously. Once off the network the printer works fine via a USB direct cable connection.  I have also deleted all the print queues from all machines accessing the printer.

Since it was the HP firmware upgrade that caused the issue it would be nice if HP took an interest or provided some level of meaningful support. Apparently HP initiated the firmware upgrade because of a security issue that was stated in a bulletin.

With a little luck and customer concern maybe someone will respond with some level of assistance. However, you may have come up with the best solution. I know HP will send their team into the stores during the holidays, I might go in and share the real customer experience with potential customers. Nothing like self-serive turning into a screening process shielding support from customers.    

HP Recommended

I found this link which mentions updating using a usb drive. I have not used this method but thought maybe it'll help someone.

"https://www.amexclusive.com/faq/hp-update-firmware"

HP Recommended

For one that has the original cartridges from HP, and was bricked as well (with the 79 service error), bless you!   For anyone else reading this, I unplugged the wired cable and turned off wifi.  I then let it boot up.  It was stable (not always the case, but keep trying).  Once that happened, I turned wifi back on, quickly read off the IP address, and did the ftp.  Worked like a charm.  I used the 20190419 version because until this fiasco, there hasn't been enough difference to care.   I also took CrookedFirmware's advice and disabled checking for updates.  This printer can live out its life on the version its on!

Again, thank you so much!!

HP Recommended

@Mike10500 - First get the printer off the network, disconnet network cable or wireless (switch off transmitter). If you can get the firmware file, when you open it the program a virtual drive will come online and the .app file will be present (.dmg file in the case of a mac). Once you open the .app file (Firmware updater) the drive process will begin, Discovery identifying your printer etc.. Once the printer will be identified and will walk you through the process. The challenge looks like getting the the last version of the firmware. Looks like there are some solutions for windows here, I am still looking for the mac file. Good luck.   

HP Recommended

Hi Bear048, you seem to know what your talking about, I too have a mac and cannot find a solution anywhere, If you find one could you perhaps let me know? Desperate times but I have no printer now down to them bad people at hp.

thanks Ross

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.