Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw boots up normally and shows the home screen on the touchscreen for a few seconds. Then it shows the blue screen with the error code (I assume) B80587C2 . Multiple resets (iunplug, hold down power button, etc) have not fixed the problem. Any advice is appreciated. Also, is there a place to find what the error codes are for this printer. I've googled, of course, but cannot find this code anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I think I fixed it. Documenting here in case anyone runs into the same issue.

1) Unplug the wireless router so that the printer cannot connect to the wireless network

2) On the touchscreen, went into the network settings and turned off the wireless connection.

3) Turned off the "5 Ghz" option (no idea if this does anything, but the 2.4 Ghz should be plenty fast for anything that I need to print or scan)

3) Plugged in the wireless router to restart the network

4) From the printer touchscreen, used "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to connect to the network with WPS (my old router didn't have this option)

So far, everything is working fine. I can print/scan to and from multiple devices.

Notably, the HP agent I talked with over chat was worse than useless. They had me try the reset stuff, then said that I should take my printer to a service center. When I inquired about the error code, they said that the touchscreen was defective and the "internal workings" of the printer were off. This made me remove the side panels of the printer to see if there were loose cables, etc. (a total PITA). I can understand not having an entry-level agent know everything, but they shouldn't outright lie. Do better, HP.

Lastly, there should be someplace easy to find error codes. This would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

OK, updating my own post. The printer turns on and doesn't go to the blue screen after I completely unplugged my wireless router and the extender so it's some sort of wireless issue. That makes some sense since I just got a new ISP and a new router along with it. Any thoughts on how I could fix this error so I can connect to my wireless network?

HP Recommended

OK, I think I fixed it. Documenting here in case anyone runs into the same issue.

1) Unplug the wireless router so that the printer cannot connect to the wireless network

2) On the touchscreen, went into the network settings and turned off the wireless connection.

3) Turned off the "5 Ghz" option (no idea if this does anything, but the 2.4 Ghz should be plenty fast for anything that I need to print or scan)

3) Plugged in the wireless router to restart the network

4) From the printer touchscreen, used "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to connect to the network with WPS (my old router didn't have this option)

So far, everything is working fine. I can print/scan to and from multiple devices.

Notably, the HP agent I talked with over chat was worse than useless. They had me try the reset stuff, then said that I should take my printer to a service center. When I inquired about the error code, they said that the touchscreen was defective and the "internal workings" of the printer were off. This made me remove the side panels of the printer to see if there were loose cables, etc. (a total PITA). I can understand not having an entry-level agent know everything, but they shouldn't outright lie. Do better, HP.

Lastly, there should be someplace easy to find error codes. This would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

HP Recommended

You may also try disabling IPV6 protocol as that has caused issues with some devices.

Even as a dealer, the error code you post is not listed in my troubleshooting documentation and I would wind up having to consult 2nd or 3rd level support.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Here is what I have had to do to my printer twice.  Same basic problem as shown here.

First I power/shut down the printer.  Wait about 30-60 seconds.  Power on the printer.

When it initalizes and pops up a screen with the various icons, immediately press the back arrow 4 times.

The support menu will come up.  Press support menu.  Then press the down arrow once for the resets menu.  Press OK.

Then press the down arrow two times for the semi-full reset.   Press OK.

All of the above must be done as quickly as possible before the unit goes to the blue screen again.

If it goes back to the blue screen, start over.

If everything worked, the unit will shutdown.  Wait again, then power the unit back on.  Do not panic if you get another blue screen at this point.  I usually do.  Turn off the printer again.  Wait 30-60 seconds  and power unit back on.  You know it worked if you get a screen asking what language or something like that.  You will have to reconnect wifi after this procedure.

I have gotten a blue screen twice now.  First time was 8/15/22 and again today after the power popped on and off a few times in a very short period of time.  This procedure got me back up and running pretty quickly.  

Hope this works for everyone.  I did find out about the steps from a chat agent.  She did not actually understand what the blue screen was.  She thought I could follow the steps even with the blue screen up.

Any questions, you can email me at  [Personal Information Removed]

Keith

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.