Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a new HP latop, the 17.3 inch Envy with microsoft ink. There was a software issue and I just had to soft reinstall Windows 10 (I called HP and did exactly what they told me to do, which was a reinstall). My printer worked fine before that, but since the reinstall, it won't connect at all to my laptop. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software (using the disk it came with), I've downloaded all their installer guides and help, and still no luck.

Whenever I try to connect via USB (the only one I can, since our college doesn't allow wireless printing). I get the connection image with a big X that says "Printer connection unsuccessful" via USB. However, the printer prints and scans fine on its own, and the USB cable itself is the one right from the box. The printer has no warranty but I've only had it out of the box for less than a month, and it worked perfectly fine before reinstalling Windows.

IMAG1659.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@thesageofthyme

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Deskjet 2540 Printer. I understand that you are unable to connect printer with USB cable and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

1. After HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start on the Welcome screen.

2. If your printer is not listed, make sure the printer is turned on and connected, click My product is not listed, and then click Retry.

3. Select your printer, and then click Next.

Figure : Select your printer

Select your printer
  4. If a connection problem is detected, click the method being used to connect the printer, follow the instructions on the screen, and then click Retry.

Temporarily disable firewall software on the computer.

Firewall software helps block threats from outside your network, but some settings or configurations can block communication with network printers. Use the Print and Scan Doctor to identify and temporarily disable firewall software on your computer.

1. Return to the Print and Scan Doctor window, and then click Network.

Figure : Click Network in the HP Print and Scan Doctor window

Click Network in the HP Print and Scan Doctor window.
  2. In the drop-down menu, click Troubleshooting Firewalls.

Figure : Click Troubleshoot Firewalls in the drop-down menu

Click Troubleshooting Firewalls in the drop-down menu.
  3. Click the name of any firewall software on your system that has an Enabled status, and then click Disable.

Figure : Example of the Troubleshooting Firewalls window

Image: Example of the Advanced Info window
  4. Try installing the HP driver and software again.

Uninstall the HP driver and software.

1. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

2. Search Windows for programs and features, then click Programs and Features in the list of results.

3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, then click Uninstall or Yes.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.

5. Restart the computer.

Reinstall the HP software.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

4. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.

5. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.