Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4524
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Within printing preferences, I've found that there are no colour options for setting whether prints are in Black & White or Colour. To be clear, I do not have the 'Color' section as seen in the screenshot below (sourced online) . It's not there.

I have uninstalled all HP software, deleted any traces of any HP folders within c:\program files, c:\program files(x86), c:\users\<my user name>\App data.

After restarting the PC, I've then installed the most recent drivers from https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920/mode... . i.e. version 40.11 released on 24th April 2017, but there's still no 'Color' section within printer preferences.

When doing a printer status report from the printer, prints are in colour. On the PC, when printing pictures, documents or web pages, all prints are in black and white, with no option of changing the setting to colour.

Can anyone advise what to do to restore colour printing functionality when printing from the PC please?

HP-no-color-options.png

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @geobaird,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print color from your HP Officejet J4524 All-in-One Printer as the settings have been changed to black only.

This issue could occur if the black only option is not unchecked in the drivers.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

1. In your software application, click Print.

2. Select your printer from the list of available printers.

3. Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box.

Note: Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, or Preferences.

4. On the properties window, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab, depending on your software.

5. Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale, and then de-select Print in Grayscale or High-Quality Grayscale.

6. Click OK to complete the change.

Note: You need to click on the advanced button in the above picture and then de-select Print in Grayscale.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi there,
Unfortunately, I am still stuck.
There is no option to de-select greyscale or select colour. in the Advanced section.
Please see screenshot below or if it's not clear let me know and I'll post screenshots of the individual dialogues...

HP-envy-4524-no-colour-option.gif

HP Recommended

Hi @geobaird,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Step 3: Update the firmware from the link: Firmware Update

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Still no luck I'm afraid.

1. I switched the printer off.
2. I uninstalled all HP printer and scanner software via Programs and Features.

3. In a command prompt with admin rights I ran the  printui /s /t2  command and successfully removed the HP Envy printer driver and package.

4. I then check the firmware on the printer was up to date (it is).

5. I rebooted the PC.

6. I switched the printer on.

7. I downloaded & ran the EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe package.

8. I connected wirelessly to the printer (there's no USB cable) and ran through the rest of the setup as per normal.

When checking printer preferences though, there are still no colour options. See screenshot below.
There are no other printers installed on the computer.
Can you think of anything else to try at all?

HP-envy-4524-still-no-colour.gif

HP Recommended

@geobaird
Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue did not resolve after following the steps in the previous interaction.

As we have tried all the possible solutions for this issue, please contact HP phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi, did  you solved the problem in the end? I have the same exact situation. (sorry for the bad english, I'm italian)

HP Recommended

@albi_ritz

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there are no options for printing in color,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Which Operating System are you using with the printer?

Did you check the steps suggested by the previous tech on the same thread to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

If you have and yet the issue persists, perhaps, you could elaborate as to what you've done so far and I should be able to help accordingly.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this problem never got resolved. I just print in black and white.

HP Recommended

@geobaird

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I understand your concern and don't worry, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve,

let's begin with the below steps:

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

Before you begin, make sure the ink cartridges are compatible with your printer.

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Step 2: Check estimated ink levels

Low ink levels can impact print quality. Check estimated ink levels to see if any ink cartridges are critically low or empty.

Step 3: Replace any low or empty ink cartridges

Replace any critically low or empty ink cartridges, then try to print again. If the ink cartridges display full ink levels, skip this step.

Step 4: Clean the ink cartridges

Use an automatic tool to clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.