Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I've spent an hour now just trying to ask how my printer gets released from HP.  My printer says the cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink.  Years ago when I bought the printer, I did not use enough ink to enroll.  They said fine,  I use quality HP ink.  I have print jobs backed up that I need to deliver but cannot.  I am not signing up in the program.  I feel like I'm being held hostage here and not happy about it. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model?  What exactly are any error messages on the printer or computer screen

What are the numbers on the cartridge(s) installed in the printer?  Are there any Instant Ink cartridges installed?  If there are *any* Instant Ink cartridges installed in the printer it will need an active Instant Ink account to allow printing.  You would need to replace any Instant Ink cartridges with retail cartridges if you want to print without an active Instant Ink account.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.