Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

p.s. to my other message, if I've already installed HP EasyStart, and HP Print & Scan Doctor do they need to be deleted and then reinstalled after doing the system restart and re-downloading of the drivers? That would be nice for you to add to the steps also for future people having this problem.

HP Recommended

After many, many, many, many hours of trying to fix this problem I finally got it working.

I can now use my printer and it prints in color. I'm wirelessly connected to the printer, and I wonder if that's not part of the problem. In any case, my solution was to completely remove any and all software from HP. I simply went into my control panel and under printers and devices I clicked add printer and let windows detect the printer on my network. I selected it and let it setup the printer. Afterwards I was able to finally print from Microsoft office in color.

HP Recommended

I've done all of this, performed every suggestion both online & via chat, and nothing.  I've spent at least 15 hours on this & absolutely nothing.  It's a total waste & too late to return to Amazon.  Never, ever buy an HP printer.  This one is only 9 months old & it's going straight in the trash.

HP Recommended

I've tried that so many times I've memorized the steps.  IT DOESN'T WORK!

HP Recommended

Agreed!  I'm getting color, but no option for quality of print.  How can a company the size of HP write such god-awful software?  And why did it take a user--not an HP employee--to find the way-off-the-beaten path solution?

HP Recommended

No, I'm sorry but I can't say the info you gave was completely helpful. If you wish, you could read the posts I wrote after you posted.

ALSO, why can't HP fix the software so when our ink cartridges are actually empty we are notified, AND the icons show they are empty. I'm always wondering lately if I really have used all the ink up, OR, the software is telling the printer the ink cartridge is empty and it really is not. BETTY, CAN YOU PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS?

Thank you, Debbie

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for posting this. It is the solution we are all looking for. Add printer-“the printer I want wasn’t listed” - add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname - enter the IP address from the printer display and go from there. The color option is now in the software!! Thanks again to the person who posted their solution.

HP Recommended

I believe this whole issue has something to do with wireless printing. I've since bought a long enough printer cable to hook my printer up directly to my PC and the HP software works fine, I'm able to print in color with no problems.

So it would seem something is wrong with the wireless printing in HP's software.

HP Recommended

Yes, I discovered that, too.  It's a shame that HP continues to deny this & make it the user's fault instead of fixing their **bleep** software.  Of course, now it won't scan--at all.  Either from printer screen or app request.  It's really an awful printer & people should be warned against buying it.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I am the one who started the thread about a year ago. the solution has already been found in a recent post (I believe 3/14/2020).

"Simply do this:  Add printer- click the option “the printer I want wasn’t listed” - add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname - enter the IP address from the printer display and go from there. The color option is now in the software!! Thanks again to the person who posted their solution."     

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.