Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I tried all of the things you stated, I still cannot print in color.  I can copy in color and I'm working on Windows.

HP Recommended

Hi @Liz2020

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue.

To better assist you - 

1) May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

2) What's the operating system installed on the computer?

While you respond to that, try adding built-in drivers - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

These solutions did not work for Deskjet 3835. 

The only thing it worked is here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/JetAdvantage-Printing-Applications-and-Services/Deskjet-ink-advantage-...

by Sazz1

HP Recommended

I didn't do this, but the printer has started printing in color on its own.  Thank you for the quick reply, though!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much JeffreyCox. This seems to have worked for me too. 1 pdf print down, and next try for photos to print in color as well. 

HP Recommended

After reading through all of these replies and uninstalling/reinstalling several times, I finally found a solution that worked for me. I opened up my device manager and found the printer. Right click and select update driver. Browse my computer for driver software then let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. I selected the one called HP OfficeJet 3830 series Version: 17.60.0.5100 [2/10/2017] and suddenly my printer works in color again. Hope this works for someone else out there.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!! Your solution worked for me

HP Recommended

It's windows and it will print color copies - it won't print color documents

HP Recommended

This is awful. I spent SEVEN HOURS on the day I first set up the printer, trying to get it to print in colour. Finally, having uninstallede and reinstalled several times, I found some advice on page 5 which got my printer printing in colour when used from my desktop with Windows 10. A couple of days ago, I rearranged my desk, unplugged the printer, and now I am back to square one. And that advice on page 5 does not work this time. Hewlett Packard you are leaving Windows 10 users having to rummage through these online forums, following threads with lots of potential advice, all slightly different. Am I going to have to spend another 7 hours trying to sort the issue again.  Can you not put something on  your website when one first connects to set up this printer with advice for Windows 10 users. I feel close to crying at the moment - I do not have 7 hours to waste again. I need to print documents in colour NOW

HP Recommended

Deleting all HP printer files and reloading did not solve my officejet 3830 problem of not printing in color. Strange enough, when I use e printing it does but its very slow. When I use it as a network printer it does not print color.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.