Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 7612

The said prompt suddenly appeared. Has anyone already got a solution for this? I have read some same issues like this in forums but seems no solution. has HP already resolved this, or will they release an update to clear this error?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, @Conrad123 - Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to be of your assistance )

I understand that you are getting "HP Protected Cartridge Installed" message on your HP Officejet printer. To help you with this issue, I need to know about the cartridges that are installed on your printer.

1) Are you using the cartridges that were installed on a different printer? 

2) Are these the refilled cartridges?

If the cartridge was used on any other printer, the user has an option to enable cartridge protection. HP Protected Cartridge allows the cartridge owner to set a cartridge protection, once a such is being set (probably by its previous owner) the cartridges will only be accepted by printer used to enable this feature and that cannot be undone.

If you wish to disable this feature, you need to insert the cartridge in the original printer and then follow the procedure mentioned below. 

1. Find the printer icon on your desktop and double-click to open the HP Printer Assistant window.
  2. Click the text for Estimated Ink Levels under the heading of Shopping Resources or click on the ink cartridge icon. This will open the HP Toolbox window.
  3. Click the tab for Cartridge Protection.
  4. Click the radio button next to Disable HP Cartridge Protection.
  5. Click the Save Setting button to save your new setting. Then, close the window.
  6. You may need to remove and reinstall the cartridge for it to be recognized properly.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems that every ink cartridge I install is HP protected, there might be some defect on some part here, maybe the printhead or some other part. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Conrad123

You did not reply to the questions I asked in my previous post. 

1) Are you using the cartridges that were installed on a different printer? 

2) Are these the refilled cartridges?

Also, did you try the steps I suggested in my previous post? 

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
1. I tried using used ink cartridges from other printer
2. No refilled cartridges are used here

I have tried those steps before posting the problem here
HP Recommended

Hello, @Conrad123

You mentioned that the cartridges that you are using are previously used on a different machine. I guess that is the problem here. If the cartridge was used on any other printer in which the cartridge protection was enabled, then you cannot use those cartridges in a different printer. So that the cartridge can only be used with that printer as it is locked to it. 

You need to insert the cartridges back into the original printer and then uncheck the cartridge protection from there.

Once you insert the cartridges on the original printer, follow the steps below: (Make sure the printer is connected to the PC and the software is installed)

1. Find the printer icon on your desktop and double-click to open the HP Printer Assistant window.
  2. Click the text for Estimated Ink Levels under the heading of Shopping Resources or click on the ink cartridge icon. This will open the HP Toolbox window.
  3. Click the tab for Cartridge Protection.
  4. Click the radio button next to Disable HP Cartridge Protection.
  5. Click the Save Setting button to save your new setting. Then, close the window.
  6. You may need to remove and reinstall the cartridge for it to be recognized properly.

Hope that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi Dvortex,

Thanks for assisting.

As i have mentioned, i have tried these steps before posting the problem but it doesn't solve the issue. It is also stated on the "Disable HP Cartridge Protection" click that currently installed and previously protected cartridges will remain protected.I guess the only solution here is for hp to issue a firmware which can unmark cartridges to become unprotected
HP Recommended

Hello, @Conrad123

You can try to download and update the printer firmware here: http://hp.care/2qTkqA5 

Restart the printer once done. 

If the issue persists, please contact the HP phone support to try and fix the issue. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right. 
(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information. 
(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right. 
(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I also believe you can just press the X (cancel) button on the printer keypad to skip this "HP Protected Ink Cartridge Installed" prompt. During a reset power reset and printer reset using keypad reset keys that HP does not disclose to the consmer but I did find using a sequence of keys on the keypad I also received this "HP Protected Ink Cartridge Installed" prompt, and all I did was press the X = cancel key on the printer keypad and it clear this "HP Protected Ink Cartridge Installed" prompt.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.