Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 isn't printing Black in particular. 

This is the troubleshooting I went with:

• All colors working, other than Black.
  • All 4 cartridges are genuine HP.
  • Cartridge levels are more than half-full.
  • Attempted to hard reset - no luck. 
  • Attempted to upgrade firmware - up to date.
  • Attached are alignment pages and test print pages (black totally missing). 
  • Attempted to softly clean print head for Black cartridge - still no luck. 
  • Cleaned print head (level 1, 2 and 3) & aligned via HP software - still no luck.
  • Tried to print from document and graphic - with no luck. 
  • Below are attached scans.
  • Align.pngTest.png

Please help!

S

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@StefM91, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the detailed information. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

I'm afraid this is a hardware issue either with the black ink cartridge or the printhead. If you have already used a new black ink cartridge, then we can conclude it as a bad printhead.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

For more info on resolving this issue, refer to Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307

Thank you for the information.

I've just called the service and mentioned everything I've done, they mentioned they do the same troubleshooting and it will cost me more to pay for the repair, then to pay for a new 6970 printer.

Also just checked and there is no longer warranty on my device. I've only ever used genuine HP cartridges and would like more information as to why after 2 years, I'm unable to use my device at all? 

Additionally - I would like a support number if possible, or a contact for further troubleshooting steps please.

Not happy.

S

HP Recommended

@StefM91

I understand your concern. The printhead has gone bad and i is not replaceable. As the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.