Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 error code 71.02.4A HERE IS THE FIX:

It's a cartridge issue. 

1. Take the ink cartridges out.

2. With the printer open, unplug the power cord from the printer, then the power cord from the outlet.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Plug the cord back into printer and outlet, start printer.

5. Let the printer fully load until you get a message.

6. Put ink cartridges back in, shut printer door.

7. Follow prompts, like printing an alignment page.

8. Do happy dance (if it works of course).

It worked for me! Hope this helps!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SPN203 

Hello,

I welcome you to the English HP community support.

Thanks for this feedback.

Don't hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

I've been getting this error code for weeks ! 

I tried doing everything you listed above and it worked !!

However, I did have to manually re-install my printer onto my laptop via the HP Smart app. It took a while but it's printing again. 

Thank you 🙂 

HP Recommended

I have a HP office Jet pro 8025. And the only thing this printer is a pro at is crapping out CONSISTENTLY. I HAVE NO IDEA WHYBI STILL JAVE THIS POS printer when i constantly have to go to staples to print out my own stuff. The same event code 71. 02. 4A I’ve spoken to  multiple reps in the course of this week with the same problem. Like **bleep**!? 

HP Recommended

I did this and it didn't work for me.  Still getting Printer Failure message with Event Code 71.02.4A.  Computer doesn't want to shut down now at all.  Have to unplug to shut down. 

Any other solution to fix this problem? 

HP Recommended

I followed these instructions and now the cartridge holder will not move from the right side and I can't insert new cartridges. Additionally, there are several places that say you shouldn't turn the printer off when there are no cartridges installed or it may damage the printer. I am worried that this is what happened now.  According to other things I've read, I should be able to manually move the cartridge holder but it will not move.

As of right now, the original error is cleared. The printer needs new cartridges installed and I am unable to insert them. I have unplugged it many times, left if off, had the doors open and closed. Nothing is working,

HP Recommended

It worked for me, thanks!!! Even though the cartridges were all the way to the right I was able to unlatch each cartridge and when I reastarted the printer the event code 71.02.4A was replaced with a message that said print cartridges not communicating. I popped them all down and printed a test page and back in business!!!

HP Recommended

it works tks

HP Recommended

When lifting the access lid to change the ink , the carriage should move and stop at center….but failed to do so….

had to shut down…restart and the kill power as soon as the carriage came to center… followed the rest of instructions , removed all inks…restarted….received improper shut down message…again shut down…then restart until carriage was center and kill power again…inserted inks…powered up…again received improper shut down message …shut down 1 more time….restarted….it went thru checks….and finally worked !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.