Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PSC 2350
Microsoft Windows XP

I have Windows XP and IE8.

Lately, the page numbers are being printed poorly: the bottom of the number is partly smudged and partly missing. Otherwise, the printed pages are perfect - letters, digits and tables, both in color and in black. The problem is only with the page numbers, which I have them located at the middle bottom of the pages.

I ran all tests: clean, align, self-test report. Everything looks fine, but the problem remains. The cartridges are nearly full. What else can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Thomas82,

You do not need to change anything about any of those options that are available. Go to devices and printers - Right-click on the printer and check under "Properties" for the options I mentioned. (Not very sure this option is available in Windows XP)

Try changing the margins as well.

Thank you!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @Thomas82 – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

Is this issue happening while you make a copy? Place a perfectly printed document with the page number face down in the scanner glass and then make a copy to check.

If the copy comes out fine, then the issue could be with the printer drivers. I would suggest a complete reinstall of the same:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Click on “Start” button – Control panel - All programs – Select all the HP PSC printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now go to http://hp.care/2eNvnN0 to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome. Thank you!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello DVortex,

No, the issue happens when I print a Word document from the computer. 

HP Recommended

Hello @Thomas82,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the printer is making a perfect copy including the page number. Hence printer hardware is fine. Also you have already uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.

It looks like an issue with the MS Word application package. You can try the following steps:

1) Go to Control panel - Devices and printers - Right-click on your printer and select "Printing preferences" / "Printer properties". Click on "Advanced" tab and make sure the "Advanced printing features" are enabled. Now try to print. If the issue persists, go to the next step.

2) Go to Control panel - Programs and features - Locate Microsoft office package - Right-click and select "Change" option. You will get an MS Office pop-up window. Select the "Repair" option and select "Continue". Follow the on-screen instructions to repair the office package. Once done try to print and check.

3) If the above steps did not solve the issue, then you may need to uninstall and reinstall the MS Office package. Check here for instructions: http://hp.care/2eJmVyl

NB: Try changing the margins and try printing using narrow margins. See whether that makes any difference.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

1) The first option you suggested: I entered the printing preferences. On the "Basics" label there is "Advanced features". When I press it, a window of three fields appears: "Ink volume" (set to Heavy), "Dry time" (set to about the middle between Less and More) and "Low memory mode" (unchecked). What should I change about them?

2) The second option: I do not have Office but Word2000. Anyway, I prefer to try repairing or uninstalling it only if everything else failed. 

3) I will try first to change the page margins.

HP Recommended

Hello @Thomas82,

You do not need to change anything about any of those options that are available. Go to devices and printers - Right-click on the printer and check under "Properties" for the options I mentioned. (Not very sure this option is available in Windows XP)

Try changing the margins as well.

Thank you!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

There is no such option in Windows XP.

Changing the margin borders solved the problem.

Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.