Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!  I have a home office and I am the only person here!

The app keeps requiring a password, and every month or two, it "forgets" it and I have to re-login. It's so frustrating because HP does not allow autofill, and who remembers an infrequently used, singular password like this?  To reset, you have to get an email-- what a waste of time. While waiting, I get onto something else, and by the time I remember to look for the password email, it's expired. Rinse and repeat. UGH.

I used to be a completely hard-core HP fan, but this is ridiculous-- what possible purpose does this snoopware serve?

How do I turn this off?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Depending on the model of printer you have, some have a scanning software that installs locally and does not require using the app to scan.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Repairatrooper.  

I am using a Color LaserJet Pro, model MFP M479fdn with the standard HP-provided "HP Smart" app, which is installed locally  (on my computer) as far as I am aware. 

Is there another app I can use instead of HP Smart? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

On Windows machines  you can use the HP Universal Scanning app which is a locally installed program. Go to support.hp.com and search for drivers for your computer. On Apple devices your options are more limited.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

You could also consider setting up scan to folder which requires no app at all. Once configured, you load documents into the adf, press the scan icon on the control panel and the document is automatically saved on your computer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.