Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 6055 All-In-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It makes NO SENSE that I can right click pdf files in windows explorer and they print perfectly, but in Word, Excel, gmail, Facebook, Firefox, Notepad, Photoshop,....Any Application that you would try to print something from...

... then the output is either hieroglyphics, weird geometric shapes with characters within the boundaries, or simply blank pages...

....but again right click a pdf file in windows explorer and it prints perfectly.  

This is with newly downloaded drivers from the hp website, drivers that are supposedly current. The only solution that makes sense here is that HP's own drivers are in fact, corrupt.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@fogshat 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

All the posts you have added on this same subject seem to point back to an original issue.

For example,

Printer app and software are not installed - and (possibly) that the printer does not perhaps stay on your network.

First Thread in the Series:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Smart-App-for-Windows-is-Not-On-The-...

If you cannot "get" the HP Smart application (this is not the printer software) from the Windows Store, there are already hints that something is wrong.  Could be a Store problem, of course - or it could be related to the way the Store is interacting with your Operating System, corruption in the Store Registration, or a simple network issue.

Fixes range from "fixing" the Store using the tools provided by Microsoft to Re-registering the Store in your OS.

What method did you use to resolve this issue?

=========================================================================

Next Thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Envy-6055-ONLY-prints-pdf-f...

It is true that regardless of whether you solved the first problem - that of installing the HP Smart application from the Microsoft Store - that HP Smart does not interface with your browser.

True that you need the Full Feature Software to interface with software and applications, including your browsers.

It is unclear (simply because it was not stated nor did anyone ask you to clarify) - whether the full driver printer software was originally installed and working (then later stopped working).  This detail - whether the software was previously installed and working - can be important.

Next Thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Wireless-Networking-Internet/HP-Envy-6055-frequently-offline/m...

The practice of "piling on" to a solved thread simply means that the solution for one person is not the solution for another. 

Next Thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Envy-6055-Only-Prints-Pdf-f...

This might be getting closer to the source of the problem.

Completely aside from the apparent frustration, are some important details.

The primary "take away"  the printer software is still not installed

OR

If the printer software is installed, it is unable to interact with your Operating System.

Right-Click and Print, as you know, uses the pre-selected Printing Preferences - shortcut.  Even assuming the printer software were installed and working, "right click and print" offers no opportunity to interface with the printer software.  If the Printing Preferences - Shortcut is set to one job type and your "Right-Click and Print" request requires on a completely different setup, the job won't print correct (if it prints at all). 

This Thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-Printer-Drivers-are-Corr...

No, in fact, the drivers for the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software are not corrupt.  At least they are OK until they are installed. Installation means the print driver software has to be fitted into your Windows File System.  It is true, that at this point, the printer software is fully dependent on the Operating System to interface with the user (you) and the printer.

What else?

If the printer software was originally installed and stopped working,

And

If the printer software did not fully uninstall when it was requested that it do so using "Uninstall" in Programs and Features,

Then

There might be remnants of stuck printer software that need to be removed.

Ask if you think this is the case and I will post the "how-to" details.

If the printer software was never fully installed,

Then

Questions

Was the full driver printer software a clean (no previous printer software) installation? 

Each time >> Did you uninstall any previous printer software? 

What method did you use for Installation - direct download / install or did you use the Easy Start Software to find and install your printer software then select "Full Driver"?

How is the network configured?  That is, is the printer connected to a named SSID network for the frequency / bandwidth that is it expected to use?  Why?  Printers do not "bounce" between frequencies very well (at all).  It is necessary they be connected in a way that lets them continue on the band / frequency they are supposed to use. 

======================================================================

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

First thread in the problem....What method did you use to resolve this issue?....  going directly to the microsoft store and searching for the hp smart app in the search box generated a "the product your searching for is not here".

Later on while trying different things, I had removed/uninstalled the printer, all hp related software, then downloaded replacements from hp support. Within Easy Setup there is a step which automatically launches microsoft store landing page for the hp smart app, i click the blue "GET" box and voila! I have the HP Smart App installed.

Next Thread:

Yes it did previously work, No I am not sure when this problem arose, possibly the day after the 1 year warranty was over (last week) , as far as hp printer Full Feature Software, i presume you to mean HP Smart App, as I cannot find any mention of any other current HP printer software for Windows anywhere.

Next Thread:

I'm not sure about the "piling on" thing as being relevant, the "offered and supposedly Accepted Solution" would be a realistic solution for an advanced user operating in a computing environment in which that advanced user would not even need the help requested. It, however, would not apply to the average person on a 3 year old laptop using the home router of the year (in 2015) with an internet connection that is not a dedicated line, which is probably 95% of all home users.

Next Thread:

Right-Click and print, ok you got me, i was mistaken in the actions there, .... correction, right-click-open it in acrobat, then prints from there, and it works, but yes agree as you point out that this action 100% circumvents the HP Software.

Next Thread:

There are no remnants of old files interfering.

This is, however, a multiple hard drive (not just logical) system.

I am going to post this, try a couple quick things, reboot, and return and see if i have anything to add here but truly thank you for at least checking this issue out.

HP Recommended

continued..

So I checked out and discovered 2 physical printers are installed according to windows registry. I edited the registry

and reboot, only to discover the edit was not saved. Checked permissions, the user ME has full control, so, not sure

where to go from there. Again my apologies, there is the possibility i must admit, that an error lies at my end. However, that it prints correctly from these other devices, AND that Windows declares these printer drivers as working correctly is a total

you said that there might be remnants of old printer files messing stuff up ask me how to check this so i am asking please , I edited the registry when I found 2 printers supposedly installed. reboot the changes to the registry were not saved, I have full control level permissions so that is not the issue...BUT If I had inadvertently left an old printer "installed" which is no longer physically present, then possibly there is some software remnants out there as well. 

HP Recommended

@fogshat 

Partial Excerpt

Yes it did previously work, No I am not sure when this problem arose, possibly the day after the 1 year warranty was over (last week) , as far as hp printer Full Feature Software, i presume you to mean HP Smart App, as I cannot find any mention of any other current HP printer software for Windows anywhere.

OK...

The Full Feature Software is not the HP Smart application.

If the full driver printer software is installed, it is located / listed  in Programs and Features.

===========================================================

>>> Check / Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software

The full driver provides the foundation on which other programs and printing software depend.

Preparation - Install Full Driver Printer Software

If you have not done so,

In addition to the HP Smart application,

Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software for the printer.

HP Smart and other print software / applications benefit from having the full driver installed.

Make sure your VPN is switched Off when installing software.

Printer Software Check - Is the printer software installed?

Notes

When the full driver printer software is installed,

Find the printer software listed in Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features.

The installation of the full printer software adds two shortcut icons to the Desktop.

The Printer Assistant is named for the printer and provides access to Print , Scan , and Tools

HP Scan is named for itself and provides a direct call to the HP Scan software.

Example - Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features - Full Feature / Basic Software listing

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_5Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_5

If you find the software in Programs and Features and it is  not working, Uninstall it.

Printer software installed and  listed >> Software is out of date or not working?

NOTE:  If the printer software shows installed but is not working as expected,

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

What if?

If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and is “still hanging around” after you uninstall / Restart...

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

Revo Uninstaller (Free version)

then

Reminder:  If using USB, disconnect the USB printer cable between the printer and the computer before installing software.  (Re)Connect the USB cable when instructed to do so near the end of the installation procedure.

===============================================================

Next,

Install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Video Help here:

and / or

Install the full driver printer software using the East Start Software - opt for the Full Driver (as opposed to the "recommended" HP Smart App). 

Method - Use the Easy Start Software to Install the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

For printers that support the option,

Use the Easy Start Software wrapper to install and configure the printer software.

• Home Page - HP Easy Start 
  • Open Category Software and Drivers 
  • Open Topic: Software-Utility 
  • Download-and-Save  the current version of the Easy Start Software to install your print software 
  • If using USB:  Disconnect the USB cable between the printer and computer before installing the software.
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Select to install the “Full Driver” / “Full Feature Software” / "Basic" software
  • If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the end of the installation process).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Optional Notes >> Easy Start... The Journey

1. Full Administrator Rights are required to complete the HP Software installation.
  2. About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the Smart application).  If necessary, select the "Basic" Software.
  3. Skip / Ignore suggestion(s) that you add anything you do not want / need at the moment.  For example, you do not (at the time of installation) need an HP Account and you do not need or want to sign up for Instant Ink just because you are loading the printer software.
  4. Full driver provides access to the printer features on which other applications / software might depend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

========================================================================

References / Resources

==============================================

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.