Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Web JetAdmin 10.4 SR6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Morning,

we've about 600 HP Laser printers and we're increasing security by turning off unused features and activating the HTTPS protocol to connect to the printer (always active).

I noticed, however, that by activating this protocol, then on the JetAdmin I've an Error "Device Communication Error" with the printer, as if it were off, but in reality it's ON and I can reach it via browser without problems.

I found a page where it said to delete the "Panther" folder from "C:\Program Files\HP Inc\Web JetAdmin 10\HPWSProAdapter\FileSystems\MachineData", and to run Discovery again, but without success.

Elsewhere to regenerate the printer certificate, but same result as before.

SNMP = "Enable SNMPv1/v2 read and write access", without any password setting, or "Enable SNMPv1/v2 read and write access (use 'public' as community name Get)", identical result.

Any idea that will allow us to have these printers active again in JetAdmin?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you are turning on HTTPs then you will likely need to ensure that the security certificates are properly installed on printer and Webjetadmin, refer to this security document for details.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01840730

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply.

We have around 600 printers of different models, ranging from 10-12 year old models to more recent ones. The printers are located in various locations, and have IP addresses of different ranges. How can I issue a certificate that is suitable for everyone?
I looked in JetAdmin and did not find the possibility of having multiple certificates (one per printer).
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.