Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

Printer wanted me to replace black and blue cartridges. After replacing and it running it's test it says : There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Contact HP. It printed fine right before I changed them. I turned it off and on 2x. I took out all the ink and even replaced the non empty ones. Still same message. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ddove,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already taken some troubleshooting steps, which is great. When you encounter an issue like this with your HP Officejet Pro 8600, it can be frustrating, but there are a few more things you can try.

• Check Cartridge Installation: Ensure that the cartridges are properly seated in their respective slots. Sometimes, a cartridge might not be fully inserted, causing the printer to detect it as a problem.
  • Clean Cartridge Contacts: Sometimes, ink residue or dust can accumulate on the cartridge contacts or in the printer's cartridge slots, leading to poor connections. Gently clean the contacts on both the cartridges and the printer using a lint-free cloth or cotton swab lightly moistened with distilled water.
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting the printer to its factory defaults. This can sometimes resolve issues related to ink system errors. The process for resetting varies depending on the printer model, so refer to the printer's manual or HP's support website for instructions specific to the Officejet Pro 8600.
  • Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, HP releases firmware updates that address known issues and improve compatibility with new cartridges.

If you recently replaced the cartridges with genuine HP ones and the issue persists, it's possible that there's a hardware problem with the printer itself.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.