Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP8720 which worked beautifully for years. Suddenly when I tried to print my printers and setting control panel says “warming up” and the machine does not copy at all. Scanning to a USB is the only function that does work.

I’ve tried the whole power off unplug power on routine to no avail. I ran the HP setup assistant that acknowledges a “device problem” but offers nothing to fix it.

any help would be appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Mwills83abc ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you've already tried some basic troubleshooting steps, so let's delve a bit deeper. Here are a few additional steps you could try:

• Update Firmware/Software: Ensure that your printer's firmware and software drivers are up to date. Sometimes, outdated firmware or drivers can cause issues like this. You can usually find updates on the HP website.  Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Check for Paper Jams: Even if you don't see any paper jams, there could be small shreds of paper stuck inside the printer that are causing the issue. Open up all the access panels and carefully check for any obstructions.
  • Reset the Printer: Perform a hard reset of the printer by unplugging it from the power source, waiting for about a minute, and then plugging it back in. This can sometimes resolve temporary glitches.
  • Check Ink/toner levels: If the printer is low on ink or toner, it may not function properly. Check the ink/toner levels and replace any cartridges that are low or empty.
  • Factory Reset: As a last resort, you could try performing a factory reset on the printer. Keep in mind that this will erase all settings and preferences, so make sure to note down any important settings before doing this.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.