Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

I want to clear faxes from the  fax memory but cannot find any instructions or help on how to do that.  Does anyone know how to do that?

When a junk fax is coming in that is not on my blocked numbers list, I just  tap the red X to cut it off.  While that stops it from printing it does not stop if from going into the memory marked as "power failure".   I can then find it listed in the memory and add its number to my block list. But eventually it will fill up the memory and prevent legitimate  faxes from coming in until I go and print out a bunch of messages from memory and make room.   I want to be able to just erase the undesirable ones one at a time without erasing the legitmate ones which are worth keeping in stored memory for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Michael_G2 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

Going through your post, I see that you are looking to clear the fax memory. Try to use the printer EWS page and see if that helps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Navigate to Fax and then look for fax logs and clear the same.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, @Michael_G2 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

Going through your post, I see that you are looking to clear the fax memory. Try to use the printer EWS page and see if that helps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Navigate to Fax and then look for fax logs and clear the same.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

First, thank you very much for the reply.  It did not directly solve my problem because the only delete option is to delete the entire log.   I want to be able to pick and choose which ones to delete.   However, your answer was very, very  helpful and I appreciate.  I never knew about the EWS page and there is a wealth of useful information there.  Something as small as being able to check the toner levels right on my desktop instead of going to the machine and wading through menus or waiting for a blinking light on a cartridge is an example.

It also makes it a lot easier to determine which numbers to block.  The log shows the number.  If I don't recognize it I google it and sure enough I uncovered a couple that are junk fax broadcasters.  I simply added them to the blocked list.  That will go a long way to helping eliminate junk faxes because the log showed the vast majority came from two sources and now they are blocked.   So I really appreciate the help and the instruction.

HP Recommended

Looks like I solved on problem and created another.   Now my machine will not pick up automatically even though I have auto answer on and set to pick up after two rings.  (which was the way it was working before).  Now, if I don't push "accept" it rings and rings and then disconnects.   I have run the test and it passed everything including dial tone detection. Any suggestions? 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Michael_G2

Thanks for the update!

Let's try to perform a power drain as suggested below:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, go to setup - fax settings - scroll down to restore the fax settings and then check if that helps.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks again.  Will give that a try this evening.

HP Recommended

@Michael_G2

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Yes try the above mentioned steps and let me know the outcome.

I will be more than glad to assist you if required.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

EVerything is working fine now.  I did the power cleanup as you suggested  and one other suggestion I found archived.  i.e. even though I do not have distinctive rings chosen, and even though it is a dedicated single line for fax, I set the distinctive rings to single rings.   Voila!   All good now.  Thanks you.

HP Recommended

@Michael_G2

Thanks for the response.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.