Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Printer no longer prints in automatic duplex. 

I've tried going into the device settings and turning automatic configuration off and have applied it.  But as soon as i print i have to do it manually, but it does print in color.  To be able to print some certain files in duplex i click on the printer preferences and set it to double sided and it then proceeds to print in black and white and also in manual duplex.

I've deleted all the printer drivers, removed the printer and all associated devices, then installed directly from HP.  I still get the same issue.

Prints fine off of my phone, both automatic duplex and in color.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Joseph135,

I'd like to help!

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page  

Refer to -Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows) and How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Joseph135,

I'd like to help!

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page  

Refer to -Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows) and How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

LEGEND, LEGEND, LEGEND.

I had read through so many posts and had tried deleting files so many times.  I did do differently this time that you didn't mention (which i read somewhere else)

I couldn't delete the printer drivers as they were in use.  if i stopped the printer spool the drivers would disappear.  I read somewhere to change them from automatic to manual, which i did.  Now it works, whether it the print spool or what you've told me. 

Either way i'm happy.  Now i can print from the computer again.  T

Thanks very much

HP Recommended

@Joseph135

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @sandytechy20

So power went out the other day, and now the printer doesn't print at all.  I managed to print heaps of things when it was working and only just noticed today that nothing is printing.  Test page prints without an issue, and still prints from my phone. 

When i select to print something there was no printer selected to print from, spool was still in manual.

I tried deleting everything and starting the same process as last time at reinstalling everything, but now it just comes up with an error when i try to print.  "Printer in error state".  I've tried turning the power off to the printer to restart it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.