Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet M209dw Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

The printer always worked fine until a few weeks ago.  Now, when I first open my system and turn on the printer I have to turn it off and on to get it to print.  When that doesn't work I have to unplug and plug in a number of times to get it to print.  Now I am having to run the print/scan Doctor program to get it to print.  When that does work it will usually say that there is a paper already in the system needing to be printed first. 

There was never a problem with "a paper" needing to be printed before now.  All were printed when the print button was clicked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @WRHS,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP LaserJet M209dw printer is experiencing some connectivity or hardware issues. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check Connections: Ensure that all cables connecting the printer to your computer or network are securely plugged in. Sometimes, loose connections can cause communication problems.
  • Restart Printer and Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Turn off both your printer and computer, wait for a few minutes, then turn them back on and try printing again.
  • Update Printer Drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your printer installed on your computer. You can usually download these from the HP website or through the printer's software.
  • Check for Firmware Updates: Sometimes, firmware updates can address known issues with printers. Check the HP website for any available firmware updates for your model and follow the instructions to install them.
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting your printer to its factory defaults. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to do this.
  • Paper Jam Check: Even if it doesn't seem like there's a paper jam, check the printer thoroughly for any small pieces of paper that might be stuck inside. Even a tiny scrap can cause issues.
  • Run Printer Diagnostic Tools: Since you mentioned using the Print and Scan Doctor program, continue using it to diagnose and fix any issues it detects.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the issues you're experiencing with your printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @WRHS,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP LaserJet M209dw printer is experiencing some connectivity or hardware issues. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check Connections: Ensure that all cables connecting the printer to your computer or network are securely plugged in. Sometimes, loose connections can cause communication problems.
  • Restart Printer and Computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Turn off both your printer and computer, wait for a few minutes, then turn them back on and try printing again.
  • Update Printer Drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your printer installed on your computer. You can usually download these from the HP website or through the printer's software.
  • Check for Firmware Updates: Sometimes, firmware updates can address known issues with printers. Check the HP website for any available firmware updates for your model and follow the instructions to install them.
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting your printer to its factory defaults. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to do this.
  • Paper Jam Check: Even if it doesn't seem like there's a paper jam, check the printer thoroughly for any small pieces of paper that might be stuck inside. Even a tiny scrap can cause issues.
  • Run Printer Diagnostic Tools: Since you mentioned using the Print and Scan Doctor program, continue using it to diagnose and fix any issues it detects.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the issues you're experiencing with your printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Alden4,

OK.  I get your reply and I am thinking "Hey, haven't I already done all of this stuff?  When you call for help with your pc they always say 'first let's reboot your computer', and I say well, ok."  I decide I'll do what he says one more time AND NOW IT IS WORKING!"  Sometimes, someone is in the right place at the right time.  That person was you.  Thank you for being that person.

WRHSCSU

HP Recommended

“Accepted Solution”  Please tell me where to find this.  I see nothing on our conversation page that even suggests this. I did click on feedback but that was all I saw.

Thanx

HP Recommended

OK. I did find "Accepted Solutions" and did not see my posts or any way to give a thumbs up or any other positive feedback like you mention.  Directions please.

HP Recommended

WHEW!  OK. stars given, comments made, no "thumbs up" icon to click on, all else done and the printer is still working perfectly.  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.