Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 700 color MFP M775
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm hoping someone has some advice for this toner reporting issue I'm having.

I tried the manual but it's just the basic stuff like replacing toner and replacing the waste bin. I've tried searching this site and haven't found anything. I tried the google machine and HPs own forums, to no avail.

We received a Laserjet 700 color MFP M775 back in February and it isn't reporting correct toner usage and is just eating black cartridges. According to HP the black toner is good for ~13,500 pages & the colors are all ~16,000 pages. Well my first 2 black cartridges only went for about ~6,000 pages before they were out. I'm on my third black toner now with 1,650 pages printed, and an estimated 3,650 remaining. I'm on the initial set of color cartridges that came with the printer. So I haven't had to replace any colors yet as we must print much more B&W than color, but the color reporting is way off too.

You might be saying, well you just got it in Feb, so check with HP for warranty, but that's a problem. I'm actually located at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. So the printer was ordered last May, shipped to California where it was crated up and placed in a shipping container. Then it went onto our resupply vessel which doesn't get here until Janury. So by the time it got received, unpacked and delivered to us for the install it was February. So I only had 3 months usage with it before the warranty expired. Serious bummer.

As you can imagine it's very difficult to get replacement toner since we are sorely lacking in Best Buys down here. Not to mention that's quite an expense to be throwing away partially full toners.

I've tried updating the firmware and under "Copy/Print" --> "Print Quality" --> "Adjust Color" I tried adjusting those settings on the scale of -5 to 5 from 0 down to -5 hoping that was a sort of toner density type setting, but that doesn't seem to have done a whole lot. A couple of us have poked through the settings looking for something, anything, but just aren't seeing anything helpful.

Magenta(CE343A): 2460 printed, >9,800 remaining
Yellow(CE342A): 2460 printed, 8,650 remaining
Cyan(CE341A): 2460 printed, 6,250 remaining
Black(3rd)(CE340A): 1,650 printed, 3,650 remaining

I understand the 13,500 & 16,000 pages number from HP are estimates, but these numbers are way off.

Maybe there is some setting, or something that needs to be tweaked and I'm just not seeing it? Maybe others have had this issue?

Product Name: HP LaserJet 700 color MFP M775
Model Number: CC523A
Firmware Bundle Version: 4.10.0.1
Firmware Revision: 2410035_055356
Firmware Datecode: 20200205

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Our experience with customers units is that they rarely deliver the full cartridge rating, but this is sometimes related to the fact that the yield is based on 5% coverage and few people cover that low. I can likely provide you with the actual weights for the cartridges at various fill levels so you can determine is the cartridges are partially full or actually empty. One thing I will caution you on is keep an eye on the waste toner hopper on the transfer belt. They have a tendency to get clogged and this can lead to toner backing out of the waste bin onto prints and leading to premature failure of the belt. Another item that is likely hard to source. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'd really appreciate those weights. I still have the first 2 toners that only printed ~6,000 pages, so I'm curious if there is toner left in there.  I totally get that the number isn't going to be exactly as advertised, but only half the number advertised can't be right. There's got to be something going on.

I appreciate the tip about the waste bin too.  It's still pretty new, but I'll take a look at it. Atleast I know what to keep an eye out for.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.