Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP 1217nfw
Other

Our Laser Jet Printer M1217nfw has worked great for many, many years...however today we found the machine is constantly tying to initialize. The printer is hardwired to the internet and hardwired to two computers on our network. We can print from both of our computers but the printer will not scan for us or send faxes (which involves scanning as well) We have read all kinds of things to do to solve similar problems like this on ours and other printers on this website but none work for us. Any suggestions out there for our model printer? It prints fine...but won't stop trying to initialize.

Thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Dynamicpower,

I'd like to help!

I understand the printer is stuck on initializing screen.

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi there and thank you for trying to help me out.

I solved the issue myself yesterday morning....here is what I did:

1) shut off the machine and then held down the right hand arrow and the button below it which is a red X. 

2) pushed the start button while continuing to hold down the two buttons.

3) on the screen appeared "permanent storage init" (I believe that is what it showed not 100%).  I then released the two buttons and the printer screen then asked me to choose a Language. 

4) I didn't choose a language instead I then went to my computer and asked it to scan the page I had loaded on the glass window.  Voila it scanned! Prior to this it would not scan due to the constant attempt by the printer to initialize. I think this step freezes the printer from that constant cycle of attempting to initialize. Once the computer was finally able to communicate with the printer it went back into it's regular mode.

5) I reset the date and time on the printer and it has worked perfectly since.  

I hope this may help out others that have the same issue with their similar model printer. I tried to resolve this issue for two days and nothing I read and tried that was on this site or the internet helped.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.