Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.14 Mojave

HP office jet 3830 All in one Printer series.

My printer wont connect to my MacBook Air.   It prints fine from my I phone. so i know printer is working.

But when I click PRINT on my computer I keep getting the message  PAUSED  or WAITING.

I have deleted printer and added it again.

Its something in the printer setttings that I messed with. It was working fine the other day but now I can't get the settings right so it will connect to my Macbook Air.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Neumann2,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Given the issue you're facing with your HP OfficeJet 3830 printer not connecting properly to your MacBook Air, despite working fine with your iPhone, it suggests the printer itself is functioning correctly, but there may be an issue with the settings or connectivity on your MacBook Air. Here are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

1. Check the Printer Queue

• Open the Printers & Scanners preferences (you can search for this in Spotlight by pressing Cmd + Space and typing "Printers & Scanners").
  • Select your HP OfficeJet 3830 from the list on the left.
  • Click Open Print Queue... and check if there are any stuck jobs. If there are, try to clear them by selecting and deleting them.

2. Ensure the Printer Is Not Paused

• In the same Printers & Scanners settings, make sure the printer is not paused. If it is, there should be a resume option or you may see a button that says Resume Printer in the print queue.

3. Reset Printing System

• Right-click (or Ctrl-click) in the printer list within Printers & Scanners settings.
  • Select Reset printing system... from the context menu. Note: This will remove all printers from your list, and you'll have to add them again.
  • After the reset, add your HP OfficeJet 3830 printer again and try printing.

4. Update Printer Software

• macOS uses Apple Software Update to install the latest printer software. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Software Update to check if there are any updates available for your system, including printer software updates.

5. Ensure Your Mac and Printer Are on the Same Network

• Since it works with your iPhone, it's likely on the correct network, but it's worth double-checking that your Mac is also connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your printer.

6. Check for macOS Updates

• Make sure your macOS is up-to-date, as newer updates might contain fixes for connectivity issues. Go to Apple Menu > About This Mac > Software Update to check for and install any available updates.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.