Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My printer shuts itself off after being on for a few hours and the only way I can get it to power back up is by unplugging it for 60 seconds and resetting the power module.  This is a very recent problem, and may or may not stem from a recent brief power outage we had in my area.

I'm guessing that there may have been a surge that damaged the power module, but I want to find out if there may be a known issue or something else with this printer that could explain the problem, and if there is a permanent fix.  The unit is only about 18 months old and I would really prefer not to replace it.

Therefore, I would like to know the following:

1.  Is this a known issue?

2.  If so, is there a permanent fix to it?

3.  If not, does anyone have any idea what the problem is, and what a permanent fix could be?

4.  Are power modules in HP printers replaceable?

I will greatly appreciate any information and guidance.  Thank you very much.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GED039, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This is not a known issue. This could be a sleep mode issue or a power issue on the printer.

It could be that the printer goes to sleep after inactivity and does not wake up when you try printing.

In this case, assigning a static IP address will resolve this issue.

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer, Kumar, and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner (I did not receive an email notification that a reply had been received).

I will try the solution you recommended and update you on the results.  Interestingly, the problem seems to have resolved itself after unplugging and replugging the printer over a few days.  I'm guessing the action of resetting the power module eventually worked.

Nonetheless, I will try assigning a static IP address to the printer to avoid future problems and the other issue I'm having with the printer, which is that I lose connection between the computer and printer, since I'm not using the printer daily, and I have to power down the printer and start it up again to regain the link.  I've thought about running a wire between the computer and printer to solve that problem, but I'm thinking that a static IP address might serve the same purpose.  Either way, I will update you and let you know if this is the solution.

Thank you again for your help!

HP Recommended

@GED039

Glad to know that the printer is working fine now. You may try the steps if the issue repeats.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.