Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8630 OfficeJet Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a personal HP Officejet 8630 attached to an HP Pavilion laptop.  In trying to access the printer from another PC (Dell Inspiron), that PC sees it, but when I print something, it goes to the spooler, then disappears as if it printed, but it doesn't really print.  I want to reset the printer to the settings as they were "out of the box."  However, the printer doesn't let me, showing "This feature has been locked by your administrator or the person who set up the printer."  As that is me, how do I do a hard reset on the printer to start over?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimer03,

I thank you for your quick response.  You've been simply amazing to work with. 🙂 Let's first isolate the issue to being hardware or software related. Please make a  few copies directly from the printer. Steps:

• Please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If it copies fine please uninstall the printer software by performing these steps:

To completely remove printer driver files from your system:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS + R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • Press the WINDOWS key on the keyboard to display the Start screen, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then click it in the search list.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
      • Open Devices and Printers.
      • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
      • Click on the Drivers tab.
  • Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  • Click the Remove button.
  • Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Then uninstall the printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02259020

After that reinstall the printer software from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-8630-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/53... Please ensure that you select the correct operating system.

Then check again by printing. If it works fine, it should have done the trick for you.

If not Please run the uninstaller again by following the steps mentioned above and the also the link give above.

Then use windows built in drivers by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimer03

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums! 🙂  Good day. Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I understand clearly that you need to reset the printer to factory settings.t will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing some very smart research  before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.:)

It is a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you and we greatly value your business with HP. It is a genuine pleasure to assist you and share this platform with you. 🙂

I will send you some steps as a private message to do a complete semi full reset for you to start all over again. Please keep checking for private messages.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimer03,

Please find the steps to perform a semi full reset. sent as a private message. Please note that the unit will be reset to original factory settings.

Link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04204791

Please check pages 9 -1 11 for the control panel view of the pritner.   

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Three "Thumbs Up" to you, Dave.  Thank you very much!!!

But, now that I have the hard reset taken care of...  I have now tried lots of things to get ANY application to print to my HP 8630 from either my HP Pavilion or my Dell Inspiron.  All other printers work from ALL applications from both laptops, but when printing, for example, from MS Word, it appears to want to print, the printer Icon says "1 document pending for XXX", a slight delay (as if it were printing), then the printer Icon goes away (as if it printed something), but it doesn't print anything (again, ONLY on the HP 8630).

I stopped and and started spooling, RPC's, etc., and I just can't print onto my HP 8630.

Got any ideas?

(And yes, I am kinda technical... I worked in IS for MANY years... and no, Alzheimer's has not struck me yet.)

HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimer03,

I thank you for your quick response.  You've been simply amazing to work with. 🙂 Let's first isolate the issue to being hardware or software related. Please make a  few copies directly from the printer. Steps:

• Please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If it copies fine please uninstall the printer software by performing these steps:

To completely remove printer driver files from your system:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS + R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • Press the WINDOWS key on the keyboard to display the Start screen, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then click it in the search list.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
      • Open Devices and Printers.
      • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
      • Click on the Drivers tab.
  • Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  • Click the Remove button.
  • Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Then uninstall the printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02259020

After that reinstall the printer software from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-8630-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/53... Please ensure that you select the correct operating system.

Then check again by printing. If it works fine, it should have done the trick for you.

If not Please run the uninstaller again by following the steps mentioned above and the also the link give above.

Then use windows built in drivers by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Once again, David, I am greatly appreciative of your assistance.  I could have worked on this problem for many days (weeks, likely) and never fixed this on my own.

I have worked with HP since 1970 (HP 3000 v1 days,) and on a global basis since 1980 (minis and PCs), and honestly I had lost some faith in the HP support organization.  But you have proven me wrong.

Great job, David!  You were very thorough and timely.

Thanks again.  Have a nice Christmas/Holiday season.

HP Recommended

Hi @oldtimer03,

It has been a privilege to have shared this platform with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution and am glad that things panned out. Please feel free to always reach out and I will be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your familySmiley Happy  Take care.Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.