Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed new ink that was delivered from HP and the black is not printing. I've tried to clean the heads, align the heads, and rebooted the printer. The support page is not helping either. Do I have a bad cartridge? Are there any other suggestions? 

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@hapadog, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, We would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the help from TEJ1602. [edit]7 prior to TEJ1602 contacting me. Although the wait time was very long, I was able to speak with a representative and resolve my issue. After going through the trouble shooting steps on my own of cleaning the ink jet heads, alignment, and dropping my printer out of a 12 story tower due to frustration, the representative found that the black ink cartridge was defective. I shall be receiving a replacement within a day or 2.  

HP Recommended

This actually did the job;

If you have a spare set of HP 902 or 902XL OEM ORIGINAL empty, new or even partially full cartridges on-hand, you can perform the CARTRIDGE SWAP PROCEDURE which will get you up and running again with the refilled cartridges.*

You can activate the newly refilled cartridge by inserting a HP 902 or 902XL ORIGINAL empty or partially full ‘same color spare cartridge’ into the printer for ~25 seconds.*  Quickly remove the 902/902XL original cartridge within 30 seconds following insertion into the printer, then you can install the Refilled cartridge(s) and printer operations should be able to resume relatively normally (i.e. some nuisance messages will be observed during printing operations, i.e. ‘Non-Genuine Cartridge’, ‘Counterfeit’ alert messages, but these may be ignored/bypassed at the printer).

HP 902, 902XL Cartridge Problem (Firmware Update Lock-Out): Bypass Instructions Video

*Only HP OEM ORIGINAL ink cartridges (i.e. HP 902 standard or 902 XL new cartridges purchased from HP) can be used to reset the printer each time. Requires a complete set of spare cartridges to activate a full set of refilled ink cartridges. You may NOT use a ‘STARTER/SETUP cartridge’ or an ‘INSTANT INK READY’ cartridge. Nor can you use ‘remanufactured’ or ‘compatible’ cartridges which were purchased off the internet. Each color must be activated by a ‘same color spare cartridge’ HP ORIGINAL OEM ink cartridge.

CAUTION: If installing an ’empty’ HP OEM ORIGINAL cartridge, only allow empty cartridge to be installed in the printer for 30 seconds maximum, then immediately remove it. Otherwise, if empty cartridge remains in printer for more than 1 minute, air could be ingested into the built-in printhead and may result in a ‘depleted cartridge’or ‘cartridge failure’ error message (…if this happens just activate 1 or 2 ‘Printhead Cleans’ from the Tools/Maintenance printer menu to clear the error condition).

HP Recommended

I posted the previous because even the second ink cartridge didn't work. Customer support said I needed a "new printer" even though it was working fine until I signed up for the instant ink and my replacement ink didn't work. Twice. Found the answer on the other forum. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.