Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I just bought the HP Deskjet 2710 printer/scanner and I wanted to connect it to my wireless network.

I have a cable-TV router with 802.11b/g/n wifi with the WPS. Due the safety reasons, I set my wifi with no SSID broadcasting (hidden network) and with the MAC address filtering for the wireless connection. Of course, the WPA/WPA2 password is enabled.

Because the printer has no MAC address printed anywhere, I just disabled the MAC filtering and pressed the WPS button on the router. It worked, the printer had connected, because the blue wifi diode stopped blinking and become solid. I also have found the printer's MAC in the router menu. The HP-Smart app finished the job and I could read the ink status etc.

After the few minutes the printer in the HP-Smart app become "offline" and I had no connection, although the solid blue diode on the printer indicated that the printer was still connected - I also saw the MAC address on the router's access website. But even if I tried to use HP print doctor app - it didn't work (no connection, check if the printer and the computer are connected to the same network). I tried to disconnect it all (turned off the printer and the router, even the PC) and reconnect - no results. I tried to reset the printer's wifi settings to the default (the "x" and "wifi" buttons together for 3 seconds) and still nothing. Do you have any idea, what could happened and how to reconnect them? The blue wifi diode is still blinking and it doesn't want to connect, although I have pressed the WPS button several times (for 3-5 seconds each time).

Previously, before restarting the router, I checked the "services" in my Win10 and set mentioned programs for "active/automatically" - no change (with the restart the windows). I suppose the problem lies between the printer and the router, but I have no clue what may be wrong. I don't want to use the USB connection, because if it has to be the USB connection, I would bought a different/cheaper one...

Do you have any ideas how to solve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @wielkamucha,

I'd like to help!

Try the steps below to connect your printer to the network.:-

-->On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button and the Resume button together for three seconds. (When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on)  
--->On your computer or phone go to wifi and connect it to your printer 
--->Select your printer with DIRECT in the name from the list of available networks (example: DIRECT-74-HP Deskjet2700).
--->Select the Wi-Fi Direct printer signal in Wi-Fi settings 
--->If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.
--->Now open a browser and type 192.168.223.1
--->you will be able to access the printer's EWS page 
--->on the page, you will find a network or you can also type your network name
--->go to wireless and select wireless setup wizard
--->now select the network that you want your printer to connect to and type in the password 
--->the printer will have solid blue light if it's connected 
--->then connect your phone back to your network

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @wielkamucha,

I'd like to help!

Try the steps below to connect your printer to the network.:-

-->On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button and the Resume button together for three seconds. (When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on)  
--->On your computer or phone go to wifi and connect it to your printer 
--->Select your printer with DIRECT in the name from the list of available networks (example: DIRECT-74-HP Deskjet2700).
--->Select the Wi-Fi Direct printer signal in Wi-Fi settings 
--->If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.
--->Now open a browser and type 192.168.223.1
--->you will be able to access the printer's EWS page 
--->on the page, you will find a network or you can also type your network name
--->go to wireless and select wireless setup wizard
--->now select the network that you want your printer to connect to and type in the password 
--->the printer will have solid blue light if it's connected 
--->then connect your phone back to your network

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay_G24,

Thanks for the script. I've contacted with my local HP tech support and we did exactly the same things. 

The blue diode on my printer become solid and I get the printer's IP address on my router. Although we can't connect the computer with a printer. First I tried to use HP-Smart app, but it couldn't find the printer via wifi, even if I typied the IP address by hand. Then I tried to remove all the drivers and to make some changes in my OS, according to the help script I received from HelpDesk. Still no progress, no regognition for the printer.

The interesting thing is that the printer gets the wifi connection with the router automatically, just after turning-off the MAC-addressess filtering: when the filtering is ON, the blue diode on the printer is blinking, but when I just turn-off filtering, the diode become solid in couple of seconds and I can see the printer's IP address and host name on my routers access site. So the basic connection works...

The router is the type of Cable-TV ones, so I can't turn on/off some functions... Maybe there is the problem? All my other wifi devices are working faultlessly. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Contact the ISP and ask to add the printer's mac address in the expectation list and you will not have switch it on and off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.