Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks, EclecticMonk!  I had the same problem with my replacement HP 6830, and HP Support couldn't figure it out, either.  I just got my second HP 6830 replacement today, and it started doing the same thing.  I finally figured out what the error message was by videoing it on my phone, then started searching for solutions on the net and found yours.  Took me quite a while to remember how to access my router, but once I did and got the DHCP shut off, I followed your steps exactly and now my printer works!  Hallaluhah!  My headache is now going away.  Thanks again for figuring this out.  I wish that HP Support had a clue!

Trakpak91

HP Recommended
You're welcome!
HP does seem to suffer from the problem many large organisations have, where it's extremely difficult to get information out and even harder to get information in. I've explained this to them twice now (on the phone and by email) and this thread has been here for months, but they still haven't picked up on it. Good job these forums exist, eh?
HP Recommended
Being someone with basic computer ability how do I disable DHCP in my bt home hub
HP Recommended
I'd love to help but I'm not sure as I don't have a BT Home Hub. Maybe you could ask BT about it?
HP Recommended
Will give them a go
HP Recommended
Did you manage to solve this with your bt home hub?
HP Recommended

Had the same issue with the HP OfficeJet Pro 276DW and a ASUS RT-AC68U.. and your fix worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

Years later, HP still has not issued firmware to fix the several models that have this issue.  But thanks for your solution!

I have a different printer but similar to another user, it is the HP Officejet 267dw.  It worked fine with my old Netgear router, but when I switched to an ASUS RT-AC87U (a.k.a. AC2400) it would crash within moments of establishing a connection, with the printer's LCD displaying a BSOD and then all lights flashing with a message to turn off the power and then turn it on again.  After trying HP's official solution (https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04760896), which accomplished nothing, I almost bought a new printer, but then I found your solution which fixed my problem!

For anyone else needing further clarification, you can get your network info via opening a command promt in Windows and typing ipconfig.  write down the subnet mask and default gateway.  log into your router and find the DHCP page, which should mention the IP pool starting and ending addresses assigned.   On the printer, manually set up your IP info, entering an IP address outside of this range (I entered one that is one digit higher than the IP pool's ending address).  Enter the subnet maks and default gateway (note that a single digit like ".1." has to be typed ".001.").  For the Preferred DNS Address you can use the same number as the default gateway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.