Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C7180 All in One
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

After years of reliable printing, the "Carriage Jam" message suddenly went up and I have not been able to resolve it.

Followed all the instructions on the video on the HP site for similar printers, there's no visible paper or other material blocking it, but the carriage seems to be blocked on the right side, where I cannot access it.
All suggestions welcome, including a service center in NYC that can help with this. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@NYCDesigner,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Refer to this video from HP and check if you have performed all the necessary troubleshooting steps for clearing the carriage jam. (Also check these documents link1 and link2 )

If the issue persists after all the troubleshooting, then it could be an issue with the printer hardware.

I would request you to contact our HP Support Team for Service/Replacement/Upgrade options.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Atharva_gp,

Thank you so much for your detailed suggestions.

I had already tried these and unfortunately none of them are resolving the problem.

The message that appears is 
Error
Carriage jam
Open door, clear carriage jam, and
then press OK to continue

I've opened every door, disconnected, plugged into wall, etc. - nothing.

Here's what I can add:

The printer will not shut down completely. AT. ALL.

1. If I hit the power button on the bottom right, it will cycle down to a pretend shutdown, the lights will go off, and then it starts itself up again, and go right back to the carriage jam error message.
  2. If I disconnect it from the power supply, the moment it's reconnected it powers up again and it will also give me an additional message, that it was shut down improperly. So a hard reset has not been elusive.
  3. When it powers up, it makes all the usual noises of starting/cycling until it gets to the carriage and makes a hard jumpy sound and then the error message goes on.
  4. All this time, the carriage has been stuck in the right side, where I cannot check if anything is caught and preventing it from moving, and I don't want to force it.

This is the first time this has ever happened.

HELP!

HP Recommended

@NYCDesigner,

I think this could be an issue with the printer hardware.

I would request you to contact our HP Support Team for Service/Replacement/Upgrade options.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I agree that it's a hardware issue, which is why I need a suggestion for a service center in NYC.

I have had no success identifying one that will look at an inkjet printer.

This page does not offer that option at all:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center
It is probably something very small obstructing the path, or a small part that needs to be replaced as it is otherwise an excellent and reliable machine.

Or even a manual that provides instruction how to access the area to the right, where the carriage is stuck.

Who can fix this?

HP Recommended

@NYCDesigner,

I am not sure if a service center is available for repairing this printer in NYC.

Please click on this Link to contact HP Support for further support options.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.