Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've done these steps:

• Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >
  • Scroll down, find, and Stop Print Spooler Service
  • Delete files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  • Start Print Spooler Service.

and there is is file in this folder that refuses to be deleted because it is open in  "printfilterpilelinesvc.exe".

This is the same message I've been getting when I try to do the other fix in this thread by deleting the drivers via printui.exe /s steps.

I've also enabled sharing (didn't help), and done the scan doctor over and over, along with uninstall.  nothing clears it.

I have been going in circles with all the troubleshooting, and nothing works.  by the way, the printui.exe method worked for me a while back, but nothing works now.  I send a recording with one of the Feedback request from the Scan Doctor.

I forgot to mention...

the printer works fine, wirelessly, from my husband's desktop. 

I am using a fairly new HP Laptop 17 inch, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.19 GHz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved this really by trial and error, and want to document it so that I can find the answer in the future.

• Add a printer: There are a number of ways to add a printer, whichever method, click on the link that says "The printer that I want isn't listed". 
  • You should get a pop-up that says "Find a printer by other options".
  • Select "Add a printer using a TCIP/IP address or hostname", and select Next

Meanwhile, go to the HP printer (assuming it's already WiFi connected) and print the status page, which will list the Hostname, IP address, etc.  For example, for my printer, the Hostname is HP514A93.

• Select/enter the following:
  • Device Type: Autodetect
    Host name or IP Address:  HP514A93
  • Port name will auto-populate (leave as suggested).
  • Select Next. 

I did not repeat steps after this point to preserve what I have, but at this point it should find the printer.

Since this seems to be an identification problem of the right printer, it seems that the "stuck in printer queue" is an outcome of not identifying the right printer, not the cause of the problem.  So (it seems to make sense that) all of the above posted techniques to clear the spooler, uninstall, remove drivers, could not resolve the problem. 

I was able to reproduce the "stuck in print queue" on my husband's desktop when the wrong drivers were installed, so maybe it's an incompatible driver still, but the automatic ways of resolving did not work. 

Can anyone from HP can illuminate on this further?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I also performed the following 'recommended" steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. 
  • IT EITHER SAYS:
  • NO PROBLEMS FOUND, OR
  • PRINT JOBS IN THE QUEUE ISSUE FIXED, (and) PRINT QUEUE ISSUE IS NOT FIXED. 

I also did the following steps :

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK. (HERE IS WHERE I GET STUCK.  IT WON'T LET ME REMOVE THE DRIVER PACKAGE. IT SAYS :

The following package(s) can not be deleted:

hpygid20_v4.inf (x64)
    This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
    HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 PCL-3; This driver is used on:
    HP514A93 (HP OfficeJet Pro 6970)

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 PCL-3 (x64) is in use. It is used on:
    HP514A93 (HP OfficeJet Pro 6970)

• (AND ALSO IF I TRY TO REMOVE ONLY THE DRIVER IT SAYS:

Unable to remove HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 PCL-3, x64, Type 4 – User Mode driver.

The specified printer driver is currently in use.

CAN'T CONTINUE AT THIS POINT.

• Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
HP Recommended

Hi

My Ink Jet Pro M404dn printer works fine and still does in most circumstances. My problem is I installed new software "Stockmarket Plus" and when I try to print from it the printer starts up for a few seconds then stops without printing anything. The item is shown in the print Queue with error beside it. At this stage nothing will print from anywhere until I clear the print Queue. HP software check shows a problem with "device status" but no error number. I tried uninstalling the printer and reinstalling it together with current drivers but nothing changes. I can print from this software via Wi Fi to my Epson printer with no problems and I could also print to my HP printer from the Stock Market Plus software prior to upgrading to the latest version.Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I solved this really by trial and error, and want to document it so that I can find the answer in the future.

• Add a printer: There are a number of ways to add a printer, whichever method, click on the link that says "The printer that I want isn't listed". 
  • You should get a pop-up that says "Find a printer by other options".
  • Select "Add a printer using a TCIP/IP address or hostname", and select Next

Meanwhile, go to the HP printer (assuming it's already WiFi connected) and print the status page, which will list the Hostname, IP address, etc.  For example, for my printer, the Hostname is HP514A93.

• Select/enter the following:
  • Device Type: Autodetect
    Host name or IP Address:  HP514A93
  • Port name will auto-populate (leave as suggested).
  • Select Next. 

I did not repeat steps after this point to preserve what I have, but at this point it should find the printer.

Since this seems to be an identification problem of the right printer, it seems that the "stuck in printer queue" is an outcome of not identifying the right printer, not the cause of the problem.  So (it seems to make sense that) all of the above posted techniques to clear the spooler, uninstall, remove drivers, could not resolve the problem. 

I was able to reproduce the "stuck in print queue" on my husband's desktop when the wrong drivers were installed, so maybe it's an incompatible driver still, but the automatic ways of resolving did not work. 

Can anyone from HP can illuminate on this further?

HP Recommended

Problem solved. My printer is connected via ethnet and USB. The problem was a connection problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.