Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
6500 officejet all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer has stopped printing blk. have done some cleaning still no print

will replacing the printhead fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@margaretrose,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

As I understand you have replaced the printhead and now you're getting alignment failed error message on your HP Printer. 

Yes, this can be fixed, All you would need to do here is to go ahead and align the printer. 

For more in detailed, please follow this support document - An 'Alignment failed' Error Message Displays on the Printer

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@margaretrose,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I see from your post that you're having issues while printing in black from your HP Photosmart printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes before the issue started?

Did you try to update the printer firmware? Have you tried to align the cartridges?

Have you tried to check the print settings? Have you tried to use the old ink cartridges and check if that works.

Have you tried to print the print quality test diagnostics report or print the self test page.

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Next thing, I would personally suggest here is to print the print quality diagnostic report from the printer and check for the defects.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Officejet 6500 Printers - Black Ink Not Printing and other Print Quality Issues

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for  attempting to help me out . I have tried to print out any report but as I said , I  am not printing anything black ... and actually now   blue neither I have cleaned the printhead. I have replaced the printhead and now "alignment has failed"

( Is THAT  fixable?)

I ahve NOT made any changes.  black just stopped printing.although the    cartridge   appeared to be  full, I DID replace it I have  uninstalled and re installed . have not  updated firmware will not align.   new printhead, all new inks. prints   test page / out BLACK no firmware option at all on my printer no firmware option for  downloads, only software ..hard reset   sorry no change no black no cyan 

any other ideas?seems to me that If I can re align I might get it to print correctly. is there ANYTHING I can do?

Is  there anything else I can do to fix this?

HP Recommended

@margaretrose,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

As I understand you have replaced the printhead and now you're getting alignment failed error message on your HP Printer. 

Yes, this can be fixed, All you would need to do here is to go ahead and align the printer. 

For more in detailed, please follow this support document - An 'Alignment failed' Error Message Displays on the Printer

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.