Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M201dw
Microsoft Windows 11

My printer will not stop printing page after page of 

POST /ipp/printer HTTP 1.1

Content-Length 186 (<-this number changes)

HOST: localhost

<a whole line of garbage>

I have updated the Firmware as per https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

I have updated the driver to the HP Smart Universal Printing (which appears to be the only option for this printer and Windows 11).  

I have cleared the print queue and the print spool and Stopped and Restarted the Print Spooler service.  There are no files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

I have drained the power as per https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Printer-printing-blank-pages/m-p/894346...

The printer still begins printing nonsense pages upon startup.  I can cancel it and it will stop.  I can print a document but after the document prints it keeps printing nonsense.

Note that this printer has worked fine with Windows 11 for the past 2 months.  This just started this week.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @LRonDrunkard,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

t sounds like your HP printer is experiencing an issue where it continuously prints pages without stopping. This can happen due to a variety of reasons. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

Cancel the Print Queue: The first step is to cancel any ongoing print jobs. On your computer, open the printer's queue by going to the Control Panel (or System Preferences on a Mac), then 'Devices and Printers' (or 'Printers & Scanners'), right-click your HP printer, and select 'See what's printing'. From there, you can cancel the current print jobs.

Check for Stuck Print Jobs: Sometimes, print jobs can get stuck in the queue. After canceling the print queue, turn off your printer, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. This can help clear any stuck print jobs.

Check the Printer Settings: Ensure that your printer settings are correct. Sometimes, incorrect settings can cause the printer to behave unexpectedly. Access the printer settings through your computer and make sure everything is set correctly, especially the paper size, print quality, and any other relevant settings.

Update Printer Drivers: Outdated or corrupt printer drivers can cause printing issues. Visit the HP website, find your printer model, and download the latest drivers. Install them following the instructions provided.

Check for Firmware Updates: Alongside drivers, the printer's firmware may also need updating. You can usually find firmware updates on the HP website under your printer's support section.

Reset the Printer: If none of the above steps work, try resetting your printer to its factory settings. The process for doing this varies by printer model, so you may need to consult your printer's manual or HP's support website for instructions.

Check for Hardware Issues: Continuous printing might also be a sign of a hardware problem. Check for any obvious issues such as paper jams, improperly installed cartridges, or any other physical abnormalities with your printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of the suggestions you offered worked, which is not surprising since I stated quite clearly in the initial post that I had already done all of these things.  What does work, however, is clearing the old printer(s) from the registry.  You might want to add this to your list of solutions for people to try, especially when the printer in question is old and likely had been originally installed using a Windows 10 print driver.  The directions are here:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/check-registry-key-printer-computer-57663.html

HP Recommended

Hi @LRonDrunkard,

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad the issue is resolved.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.