Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We just changed the cartridges and when I try to print it says the cartridges are stalled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @LaurieR1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When your HP printer displays a message indicating that the cartridge is stalled, it typically means there's an issue with the cartridge alignment or installation. Here's what you can try to resolve the problem.

• Check the cartridge installation: Ensure that the cartridges are properly installed in their respective slots. Make sure they are securely seated and that there are no obstructions preventing them from moving freely.
  • Restart the printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve many printer issues. Turn off your printer, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on. This may reset any internal sensors or mechanisms causing the cartridge stall error.
  • Inspect for obstructions: Open the printer cover and visually inspect the cartridge carriage path for any obstructions such as bits of paper, tape, or debris. If you find any, carefully remove them to allow the carriage to move freely.
  • Manually move the cartridge carriage: Some HP printers allow you to manually move the cartridge carriage. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to do this safely. Moving the carriage manually can help you identify any physical obstructions or issues preventing its movement.
  • Clean the cartridge contacts: Sometimes, dirty or damaged cartridge contacts can cause communication errors with the printer. Turn off the printer, remove the cartridges, and gently clean the electrical contacts on both the cartridges and inside the printer using a lint-free cloth lightly dampened with water. Make sure they are completely dry before reinstalling.
  • Update printer firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model on the HP website. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve printer performance.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the cartridge stall error on your HP printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @LaurieR1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When your HP printer displays a message indicating that the cartridge is stalled, it typically means there's an issue with the cartridge alignment or installation. Here's what you can try to resolve the problem.

• Check the cartridge installation: Ensure that the cartridges are properly installed in their respective slots. Make sure they are securely seated and that there are no obstructions preventing them from moving freely.
  • Restart the printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve many printer issues. Turn off your printer, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on. This may reset any internal sensors or mechanisms causing the cartridge stall error.
  • Inspect for obstructions: Open the printer cover and visually inspect the cartridge carriage path for any obstructions such as bits of paper, tape, or debris. If you find any, carefully remove them to allow the carriage to move freely.
  • Manually move the cartridge carriage: Some HP printers allow you to manually move the cartridge carriage. Refer to your printer's manual for instructions on how to do this safely. Moving the carriage manually can help you identify any physical obstructions or issues preventing its movement.
  • Clean the cartridge contacts: Sometimes, dirty or damaged cartridge contacts can cause communication errors with the printer. Turn off the printer, remove the cartridges, and gently clean the electrical contacts on both the cartridges and inside the printer using a lint-free cloth lightly dampened with water. Make sure they are completely dry before reinstalling.
  • Update printer firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model on the HP website. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve printer performance.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the cartridge stall error on your HP printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.