Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Follow the steps to clean printhead manually -

Required items -

• A clean disposable container large enough to fit the printhead
  • Paper towels Filtered or distilled water (tap water may contain contaminants that can damage the printhead)
  • Two clean lint-free cloths
  • A pan or container for heating water Disposable gloves (to prevent ink transfer to skin and clothing)

1. Stack several paper towels 6.5 mm (1/4 in) deep on the bottom of the disposable container.

2. Heat the water until it is very warm to the touch. Do not bring it to a boil.

3. Put on the gloves.

4. Pour the heated water into the disposable container so that it is 5 cm (2 inches) deep and covering the paper towels.

5. Remove all of the cartridges. Push in the tab on each cartridge, and then lift each of them out of the carriage.

Removing the cartridge from the carriage

6. Place the ink cartridges on a paper towel with the nozzles facing up.

7. Lift the latch on the carriage until it stops.

Lifting the printhead latch

8. Grasp the printhead by the sides to remove it from the carriage.

Removing the printhead

9. Lightly dampen a cloth with the heated water, and then gently wipe the nozzle area until excess ink does not transfer to the cloth.

CAUTION: 

Do not press into the nozzle area. Do not touch the copper-colored contacts with your fingers, or let the contacts touch any surface.

Cleaning the printhead nozzles

10. Place the printhead in the container of water with the nozzles facing down, and then let it soak for 10 minutes.

Placing the printhead in a container of warm water

11. Remove the printhead from the water, wipe off excess water with a clean lint-free cloth, and then let it air dry on a paper towel for fifteen minutes.

12. Slide the printhead back into the carriage, and then lower the latch until it stops.

Closing the printhead latch

13. Reinsert each cartridge into its color-coded slot, making sure each snaps into place.

14. Close the door or lid to the cartridge access area.

NOTE: 

If a Printhead Problem message displays, restart the printer.

If the issue persists, reach out to the Phone support or HP store for upgrades or service options.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks! I will give it a try.

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

HP Recommended

I forgot to ask one last question. Should I turn my printer off or close the door to the printer while I'm cleaning the printer head since in will take a little while?

HP Recommended

Unplug the printer from the wall outlet and also you could close the door.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Wait! Am I really supposed to put the circuit board side into water?!

HP Recommended

Just the printhead with the nozzles facing down.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Well, yeah. I knew that, but the picture looks like I have to put the circuit board, that is attached to the printerhead, in water. I want to make sure this is correct. I don't want to electrocute or fry anything.

HP Recommended

Just the printhead, not the board.

Keep the printer unplugged through the process for safety reasons.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Okay, I guess you aren't understanding me. The board is attached to the printhead (it cannot come off of it!). The way the picture is showing to put the printhead in the water is by putting the board into the water.  What am I supposed to do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.