Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 5106 All-in-One Printer

When I print from Indesign or Adobe Acrobat its printing mono only and not colour. How do I select colour.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @JohnChand ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand the HP Smart Tank 5106 is fully capable of color printing, so the mono-only issue you're experiencing likely stems from a setting in your software (InDesign or Acrobat) rather than the printer itself. Here's how to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check Print Settings in InDesign/Acrobat:

• Open the document you want to print.
  • Go to the "File" menu and select "Print" (or press Ctrl+P on Windows/Command+P on Mac).
  • Look for the "Print Settings" or "Properties" section. This might be located in a separate window depending on your software version.
  • Under Print Settings, ensure "Color" or "CMYK" is selected for the print mode. Avoid options like "Grayscale" or "Black & White".
  • Look for an option like "Ink Optimization" or "Toner Saving" and make sure it's unchecked. These options can reduce color saturation.
  • Click "Print" to confirm the changes.

2. Check Printer Driver Settings (Optional):

• If the issue persists after checking software settings, you can verify your printer driver configuration.
  • Go to your computer's "Printers and Scanners" settings (Windows) or "System Preferences" > "Printers & Scanners" (Mac).
  • Find your HP Smart Tank 5106 printer and right-click on it.
  • Select "Properties" or "Preferences" (depending on your OS).
  • Look for a tab related to "Color" or "Printing Preferences".
  • Ensure "Color" printing is selected and any grayscale or toner-saving options are disabled.
  • Click "Apply" or "OK" to save the changes.
  • Try printing again to see if the color issue is resolved.

3. HP Smart App (Optional):

• If you're using the HP Smart app to print, there might be a color printing option within the app itself.
  • Open the HP Smart app and connect to your HP Smart Tank 5106.
  • Select the document you want to print.
  • Look for an option like "Print Settings" or "Advanced Options" before initiating the print job.
  • Ensure "Color" printing is selected and any grayscale settings are disabled.
  • Start the print job to see if the color issue is fixed.

Refer to this document: HP Smart Tank 5106 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.