Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue. I just purchased the HP Officejet Pro 8620 and based on what I read I thought I would be able to print PDF documents from my USB thumb drive to the HP. The fact that this can print from my phone app, but can't print from a usb drive is ridiculous and highly inconvenient.

HP Recommended

Smart thinking, I will try that. 

HP Recommended
I want to print documents from USB using the USB port on HP office jet pro 8610, but I couldn't it only print photos. Can you please help if there is some settings that I must do before printing
HP Recommended

@DIlefor wrote:
I want to print documents from USB using the USB port on HP office jet pro 8610, but I couldn't it only print photos. Can you please help if there is some settings that I must do before printing

If you read the rest of this topic you will find that you can only print photos from the USB port, and that HP were not being strictly honest when they stated that you could print documents from the USB.  If you convert the document to jpg format, then you will be able to print it via the USB port, but that really rather makes the ability to do this questionable, as you must have access to a pc to do this.

Well done HP, you have successfully missold this printer to a large number of people who assumed it would do what it says in the brochure.  I was told that I could use the monthly pre pay on ink cartridges, but when I called up to set it up, I was told "no, not on this printer".  

Does HP not tell it's sales arm what it's technology is capable of, or do they just throw stuff in the brochures to make stuff look good, hoping no-one will actually remember what was said?

HP, the 8600 plus is a good printer, but please amend your literature so it accurately reflects what the machine can actually do.

Oh, and I'm not a student, haven't been for a long while, I'm an IT professional.

HP Recommended

It explicitly states, "and documents" in the product information. Is HP going to be providing a refund or compensation to customers, like myself who purchased this printer to print documents? PDF is universally recognized as a format and should not have to be converted to a jpeg as a work around. Please provide an answer as to the course of action that we, as mislead (lied to) customers, should do.

HP Recommended

I bought the 8620 for home use because I use another HP Officejet Pro X576dw MFP printer which can print PDF from the USB drive.

Was disappointed when I found out the 8620 could not print PDF from the USB drive.

So I suspect it could be a software issue which I am hoping could easily be addressed by an upgrade and have writen in to HP when I bought the 8620 in Aug 2014 but no good answer. Still no upgrade fix after many months. 

Very disappointed!

HP Recommended

This is the same problem and dishonesty as with the HP Officejet 5740 series -- cannot print with the thumb drive.  

HP Recommended

this is another case of HP morons designing printers.  Your documentation said I could print documents from a jump drive.  The HP 8600 cannot do so, it can only print photos.  This is a very serious breach of trust and faith.  Your design of drivers and other software are likewise screwed up, always enormous files with a lot of problems.   I am never buying another HP product, I've had it!!!!!

HP Recommended

Apparently, HP's later edition, the HP OfficeJet Pro 9015, also can only print pictures from a flash drive. Really doesn't make any sense why you can't print PDFs. Wish I had known, too.

HP Recommended

@Portobella

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer and update the firmware for the printer.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-9010-all-in-one-printer-series/23903057/model/... for Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Restart the printer

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.