Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I think there is a problem with a scan driver for the HP LaserJet 400 colorMFP in El Capitan. I normally run HP Scan from my Mac to scan things over the network. This stopped working when I upgraded to El Capitan from Yosemite. I also tried the HP Easy Scan application as found in the App Store but that also just hangs. As a last resort I try to do the scan from System Preferences but that also hangs with "Waiting for scanner..." I can print to this printer just fine over the network so I no there isn't anything wrong with the networking setup, which hasn't changed in years.

HP Recommended

App works nicely, I have a 8500 Pro and cannot find the settings tab in HP Utility for "Scan to Computer".

Only bug I have found after sanning a dozen docs is that sometimes I need to hit the scan more than once before scanning starts.

Was able to set up various configurations and they seem to save and work properly.

HP Recommended

I am using a Scanjet 4890, not a printer/scanned combo. I do NOT see it in my sys pref, just on the dock at the bottom of the screen. I've downloaded the new easyscan app, but I don't have my scanner showing anywhere. I worked fine up until I got the upgrade to OS 10.11. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Fixed my problem - yea!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

TELL HOW!

HP Recommended

Where do I find the 'Scan to Computer' switch to toggle?  When I go to utility, all I find is Supplies status, supply info, device information, align, clean back of page smear, clean printheads, paper feed cleaning and test.  The printer works fine, just no scanning with HP Easy Scan or with Image Capture.

HP Recommended

when installing the printer you need to use the printer driver and not airprint. this will allow you to access the actualy HP software in your operating system. Airprint, as the name suggest is only for printing and the driver is limited. 

Currently, I found that when i open the HP easy scan software (app store) i can see my computer on my printer when choosing to scan to my computer on the 8500 model. however when starting a scan the driver fails to scan yet there is communication as i get a failed warning on the computer, sometimes on second attempt it work however the only reliable way to scan right now is to start the scan from the HP easy scan. 

Meanwhile, i am still requried to check the douplex option in the printer setting under preferences every time before i print and that check mark refuses to stay no matter what i do. 

My feeling is that i need to reinstall the whole OSX or wait for the next update of the printer drivers if it will ever arrive. 

HP Recommended

Not using airprint, printer is photosmart c4680, would like information on how/where to check 'scan to computer', as this is in previous solution--but I can't find it on my settings!

HP Recommended

Reset the printing system and re-adding the printer (selecting the HP "driver" over "AirPrint" in the add printer process) restored the "Scan" tab without the need for additional software

HP Recommended

It seems that this works for HP multi function printers (printer/scanners), but not for stand alone scanners. I've lost connectivity with my Scanjet G4010 scanner. 

The instructions here don't apply, as there is no Setting Tab to be found in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.