Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I know that with the HP Envy printer I can print DIRECT to the printer.

However, when printing otherwise, does my print document go out to the internet via my router? 

If so, how secure is that form of printing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@davemarkham wrote:

I know that with the HP Envy printer I can print DIRECT to the printer.

However, when printing otherwise, does my print document go out to the internet via my router? 

If so, how secure is that form of printing?

Sorry... what does that mean???

HP Recommended

Sorry, I mean when I print using the router Wifi address, rather than when I print directly using the printer WiFi address. That is, with the router switched off.

HP Recommended

OK thanks.  First if you have a router the Wireless Direct feature in the printer should be disable and not used.  As for your answer, if connected to your router the router provides the security for all your connected devices.

If connected to Wireless Direct in the printer, you have to input a password in order to print, which is its only security.

Wireless Direct is only used of you have no router.  Why?  Because your devices are connected to the internet via 3G or 4G or hot spot and you print to  the Printers SSID which is a separate network.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

My real concern is, if the print file is being sent out over the intenet before being returned to the printer, how secure is that data file?

HP Recommended

All goes through your router for connection.  From computer, to router, to printer.

HP Recommended

So, the data never goes outside my network onto the internet?

HP Recommended

That is correct.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for a very prompt, clear and concise answer.

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.