Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
M254dw

The printer worked fine for years but today it gives a service error 49 over and over again.

I reset it

I rebooted it

I unplugged it

I did everything but the error happens every time.

HELP!!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I did the permanent init reset and that didn't work either.

however the printer prints test pages just fine.

HP Recommended

@Royal001

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

1. Through the printer's control panel, disable Wireless printing (if equipped).

2. Turn the printer off and unplug the network and/or USB cables.

3. If you are using a surge protector, remove it. Plug the product directly into the wall socket.

4. Turn the printer ON, does the printer return to the Ready state?

1. If NO, your printer requires service, please contact HP Customer Support.

2. If YES, print an internal page, such as the Configuration Report, to demonstrate printer functionality.

5. Check the firmware version and update if a newer version is available at HP.com.

6. Attempt to isolate the 49 error to a specific connection type (Wireless, USB, LAN) or file:

1. Start with only a USB connection and a simple test file from your PC to demonstrate printer functionality.

2. Connect the printer to the network and send the same file.

3. Continue troubleshooting below based on your findings.

In cases where it is believed a specific file is the cause of the 49 error, try:

1. Use a different print driver. For example, if you are using the universal print driver (UPD), try printing the same file with the PCL 5 or PCL 6 driver.

2. Change the file format when saving. For example, save the file as a PDF or other file format before printing.

3. If the error occurs when scanning, try a different resolution or saving in a different file format.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

here is the situation with the printer.  please advise:

Hi and thanks for any help to figure this out.

I've had the HP M254dw color laser for years without problems.

A couple of weeks ago the following started to happen:

- when printing PDFs it gives an error 49.

- when printing it's own test sheets it gives an error 49.

- when i get an error 49 it claims a paper jam but paper is not jammed. i just have to open the back door and the printer is ready to print again.

- I do the Permanent Storage Init reset and a reset to factory settings.

- I can get it to print non PDFs without error 49 but it won't print color even when set to print in color.

I'm printing from Mac and Chromebook devices plus phones, all same behavior.

Is this thing just borked? 

HP Recommended

Did you try the steps given?

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.