Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw
Microsoft Windows 11

I spent an hour in chat about this a couple of days ago, got a new printer driver, etc. and it is still happening.

This printer suddenly won't print anything from my computer (it will print a wireless test page). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the printer twice, removed and reinstalled wifi. When I send anything to the printer it shows 'error printing' and 'printer is in an error state' then randomly will print 60 pages of garbage. When I unplug and plug it back in, it continues printing garbage no matter how many times i press Cancel.

I bought this 9/24/2020 so it's not even 1.5 years old! This is too expensive a machine to break this fast.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

If I go into Services and restart the print spooler, sometimes that will cause the printer to actually print, though it still shows 'Error - Printing' in the queue.

I can't even cancel things in the queue - it says 'Error Processing Command' when I try to cancel.

HP Recommended

It is more likely an issue with drivers or setup on your computer. This type of behavior is most often caused by a corrupted or wrong printer driver being used. Your printer is fully supported by the HP Universal Printer Driver and I would suggest that is the driver you want to use. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4952109-2831856-16

As you are printing via a network connection, I suggest that you manually configure an Standard TCP/IP port to use with the printer driver. Other port types like WSD are problematic and do not offer trouble free operation.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

The tech had me install the latest printer driver a few days ago. 

Until last week, I've had no issues with the printer at all since i purchased it. 

HP Recommended

Please post what driver and port type currently installed. To do this: on your PC go to control panel>devices and printers and right click on the icon for your printer and select Printer Properties from the drop down menu.

Click the ports tab and see what port number and type has a checkmark.

Then click on the advanced tab and see what driver is installed.

Post back these two pieces of information to see if my recommendation changes.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Driver version is 8.0.1329.7008

Port is WSD.

HP Recommended

The WSD is the reason it goes offline and does not come back. Best performance with  network printer is realized by using a Standard TCP/IP port. I would also still recommend the UPD driver over the discrete driver you are using.

HP Recommended

I installed the Windows UPD driver, still not printing, and I still have to stop and restart the print spooler to get it to print.

The driver version and date did not change after installing the UPD one, I don't know why as it said it completed the install.

I'm happy to use a standard TCP/IP port - how do I change it??

HP Recommended

I figured out how to add the port and now printing seems to work normally.

HP Recommended

Nope: now we're back to 'Error - printing' again. I have to manually stop and restart the print spooler again, so this is not resolved. No changes have been made since my last reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.