Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an HP Officejet Pro 7720 printer. I replaced the cartridges brand new. They were not damaged however the printer is now giving me an error message. The message is stating "There is a problem with the supply system. Try replacing the affected cartridge." I have turned the printer off for 1 minute and restarted. I have even taken the cartridges and cleaned the copper element with an appropriate cloth. This printer is still stating this error. Does anyone have any suggestions or support with regards to this issue? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Bluebear24,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Dealing with a "Supply System Error" on an HP printer like your Officejet Pro 7720 can be frustrating, but here are several steps you can try to potentially resolve the issue:

Reset the Printer:

• You've already tried turning the printer off and on, but let's try a deeper reset:
    • Turn the printer off.
    • Unplug it from the power source for at least 3 minutes.
    • Plug it back in and turn it on. This can sometimes reset error messages.

Reinstall the Cartridges:

• Remove the cartridges.
  • Check that each cartridge and the corresponding slot in the printer are clean and free of any debris or damage.
  • Carefully reinstall the cartridges, ensuring they are fully seated and locked in place.

Check for Firmware Updates:

• Sometimes these errors can be resolved through a firmware update.
  • Go to the HP Customer Support website, find your printer model, and check if there are any firmware updates available. Follow the instructions to update if necessary.

Use Genuine HP Cartridges:

• If you are not using genuine HP cartridges, the printer might not recognize them properly, which can cause this error.
  • Consider switching to genuine HP cartridges if you are currently using third-party or refilled cartridges.

Clean the Contacts More Thoroughly:

• Since you've already cleaned the cartridge contacts, consider cleaning the contact points inside the printer where the cartridge makes contact. Use a clean, lint-free cloth slightly dampened with distilled water. Avoid touching the contacts with your fingers.

Check Cartridge Compatibility:

• Ensure that the cartridges are the correct ones for your model of printer. Using incorrect or incompatible cartridges can trigger errors.

Test the Cartridges:

• If possible, test the cartridges in another compatible printer or replace them one at a time to determine if a specific cartridge is causing the error.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.