Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw
Microsoft Windows 11

I've had this printer for years and have never really had any issues with it. I did have to get an updated driver for the Windows 11, but that was a few years ago. For whatever reason, when I want to print something now, it goes to send a fax instead and will not print ?! I've used the "HP print and scan doctor" app, and even redownloaded the app itself to reset up the printer. And even though the system recognizes the printer, and prints a test page just fine, when I want to print something, it still wants to send a fax :o/ ?!  Please help. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It sounds like the default printer driver on your computer has been set to the fax driver and not the printer driver.

On your PC, go to control panel, right click on devices and printers and select "open" from the drop down menu. Right click on the icon for your printer and select "set printer as default". You may get a warning that this will stop windows from managing printers. Click OK as this will stop Windows from changing your default printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hello Repairatrooper 🐵

I followed the steps that you provided and even though it was a little different as far as the step process, I was able to do as you suggested, and my printer now works as it should 😀!!! Thank you very much! I sincerely appreciate your tech savvy. I figured that it was probably something simple, but I'm not that tech savvy. Just enough to mess things up 😛 ! I mean the printer is kinda old, but I've never had any issues with it, and I just recently changed the ink cartridges for the first time since I've had it, which is about 8 years ! If it ain't broke, don't fix it or in this case, don't replace it ! It suits my needs. I did find where Windows was allowed to manage the settings, but I just turned that option off and changed my printer to the default printer and I'm back in business ! Hopefully it will last another 8 years ! Thanks again and Cheers, Abe Rivers

HP Recommended

Always love a happy ending. I am curious what was different about the steps. This would help me present the right steps to someone else. I was using Windows 11 PC so I am a little puzzled.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper,

First, I had to open all of the apps and scroll down to "Windows Tools" system. Second, I had to double click on Control Panel. Third, under "Hardware and Sound," I had to click on "view devices and printers." Fourth, I clicked on "printers and scanners." When that window opens up, there are options for fax, printer, etc., but there are also a few sub-topics towards the bottom of that page, i.e. "printer preferences, related settings, & related support." Under printer preferences there is the option for, "Let Windows manage my default printer." That's where you can turn that option on or off, and it doesn't or didn't say anything as far as any warnings or whatever ?!  

When you click on your printer on that same page, that's where you have the option to make your printer the default printer.  Windows did, for whatever reason, have the default set to the fax part of my printer ?! Very odd and confusing as to why or how come ?! Dunno ?! I know that you already know, but that's what I had to do on my Windows 11 system. Again, thank you very much for your help and tech savvy ! Cheers !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.