Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
564XL

It seems a lot of people have issues with this mystery cartridge but I still can't find a proper solution! 

I have an HP PhotoSmart 7525. There are five cartridges, left to right: black, three colour, and then a fatter black one. It is telling me it is out of black ink in the far left cartridge. So fine, I go out and buy a new cartridge. Doesn't fit. Repeat 3x. Every cartridge is too fat for that spot even though I am buying the 564 as instructed. There is no identifying information on the package to help you differentiate between cartridges.

My patience is wearing thin and my printer is flat out useless, and of course, there is no way to contact anyone at HP. Can someone please tell me EXACTLY what cartridge to purchase for this thing?? I don't even want to print a photo! But it won't let me print any documents without replacing this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer uses 5 ink cartirdges, Black, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Photo cartridges.

The very left cartridge is a Photo Cartridge, do not confuse it with the standard Black cartridge.

Each cartridge is marked with a different symbol as described below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer uses 5 ink cartirdges, Black, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Photo cartridges.

The very left cartridge is a Photo Cartridge, do not confuse it with the standard Black cartridge.

Each cartridge is marked with a different symbol as described below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. It was super confusing but I think I know what we need. Now to find a use for all these black cartridges!

HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart 7525 and have for a few years and never had issues replacing the black until now.

Went to staples with the model number and cartridge number and purchased the 564 black which does list my printer on it HP Photosmart 7525 but It does not fit, too fat

cartridge order: black on left, the three colour in middle and on the far right the fatter photo

What is the solution, is the packaging wrong?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.