Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell Inspiron 15 7559
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

You need to double check the download links for the OfficeJet 3830 Drivers. The full version isn't downloading the full version. It's downloading basic instead. I've tried downloading it twice. Each time it gave me the wrong version and I tried both the links which say they are Full version. My printer is not printing in color, and the basic version of the driver doesn't have the option for changing between grayscale or color. It's AWAL. I have had this issue with both Word files and Adobe CS Suite (InDesign, Illustrator). I know how to use advanced printer settings. I've been through every cotton-picking tab I can find. Computer has been restarted. Printer has been restarted. Drivers have been unistalled and reinstalled through your support site. The issue still isn't resolved, but perhaps it can be if I can actually download the correct driver from your site.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@kaerae 

Confirmed:

Direct download options on the Software and Drivers website are both listed as the Basic software.

Have you tried the HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software?

In so much that I am aware:

This newer software download and installation procedure should give you the option to select the Full Driver (name may vary).  I believe the actual option for which software to install is presented about a third of the way through the process.

In general, the HP Smart software is recommended - and it is true that the "Smart" software is indeed smarter, more versatile, and easier to use with each new version.  It is also true that "HP Smart" is not the precisely the same thing as the traditional "Full Feature Software".

For those reading:

HP Smart - Help for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box  Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Mobile Printing

HP Smart - iOS and Android - Download, How-to and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Mobile Printing – “Show and Tell” – Step by Step How-to

Learn how to connect and use your printer with your device

HP Mobile Printing - Print from Smart phone or Tablet

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2019Merry Christmas 2019

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The full version driver link was "available" yesterday, when I first tried resolving this issue. Only it wasn't actually downloading the full version. Out of desperation, I ended up resorting to downloading the app this morning and my printer still isn't printing in color while using the app and printing a PDF document.  I went thru all the print options and made sure color printing was selected and still got a greyscale print. My computer is currently up to date with all its system updates. This printer has barely been used, and I find it disappointing subsequent "updates" since its purchase have rendered it useless as a color printer. (Didn't need it again until recently. It sat in its box for 2 yrs until our 8600 died a couple of weeks ago. When we first purchased and installed it in 2017, it worked fine.) The only thing I have been able to print in color is email messages from a friend who uses blue text in his messages. Otherwise, everything else is a bust.

HP Recommended

@kaerae 

OK.

Other than installing the software full driver using the method I can see (and therefore offer), I don't currently have another solution to get the full driver installed.

As to the color not printing after sitting in a box for so long - that may well not be a driver problem.  The ink system may have dried up, for example.  This is not something for which I can provide a guaranteed solution.  I have never revived a printer after long storage (never successfully, at least).  I realize this is  not what you say is happening, of course.  This is your printer and you likely know whether it was prepared properly for long term storage.

In general, what is available for ink that does not print is documented:

Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

If I have anything else to offer, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2019Merry Christmas 2019

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It has brand new cartiges in it. Just opened from their packaging and installed. It is printing color very occasionally, but not consistently. Whatever happened to the KISS principal? Just one driver for a device of this sort which operates for its life, hopefully for more than a year or two? I'm a graphic designer by trade and was often the IT person in some of the shops where I worked. I've dealt with much larger printers (laser) and more complex networks than what I'm running here at home. I know it's a communication issue. Between two devices which now supposedly both have updated drivers. This printer had the full driver on it when it was first connected to my laptop. When I set it up recently, it wouldn't reconnect without the updates. The file I'm trying to print right now is the first where I wanted color and more specialized features, only to discover most were no longer available in the settings. I've wasted hours trying to resolve a print issue for a file which took me five minutes to create. Including spending almost an hour in the Windows store, trying to get the so-called Smart app. Needless to say, I don't consider that the height of efficiency, and I have other things I must do during my day. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.