Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8139e All-in-One Printer

Newer HP Office Jet 8139e. Shuts down and "freezes" on occasion. Have to unplug and reinstall power connection to restore operation.  Manual Power switch will not shut it off, Have no screen info either. Wi-fi is on..power light is on, but unit is not operable until plug is pulled out and put back in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The instructions in most setup or user guides state that you should not plug a printer into a surge protector. In my experience this is less of an issue with inkjet printers as they do not have the same power demands as laser printers, but plugging into a surge protector can cause unexpected issues with operation.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The instructions in most setup or user guides state that you should not plug a printer into a surge protector. In my experience this is less of an issue with inkjet printers as they do not have the same power demands as laser printers, but plugging into a surge protector can cause unexpected issues with operation.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I understand your points,  and HP's tech person said my brand new printer has an internal surge protector, But, when I pressed them on the issue of warranty protection by plugging straight into a home wall receptacle, as they "recommend", bypassing the surge protector, they wouldn't clearly commit or state that if the  printer was fried, would they, under warranty, replace the damaged unit? I mentioned that i didn't see that clearly noted on site or in my guides (to by best knowledge) to the printer. The case remains OPEN since I asked..politely..that they should find the guarantee and email or USPS it to me.  My original HP printer 7525 (bought in 2014)  was plugged into a surge protector all that time. Never had any problems 'til it died, I guess, of old age. I see too that HP sells  their company brand  surge protectors, but they don't clarify if they can be used or not on the products they sell, including or excluding printers. My apologies for the long explanation....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.