Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2742e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ! showing in the control panel.  According to the manual it says, "Problem. Check the HP Smart software."  I just installed this printer a couple of weeks ago.  It has been printing fine until now.  It's like I have to coax it to print.  I've searched online for any help but cannot find any.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Rosita27,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP Deskjet 2742e printer is displaying a "!" symbol on the control panel with the message "Problem. Check the HP Smart software," there may be an issue with the printer's software or communication. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot the problem.

• Restart the Printer: Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Turn the printer on and check if the error message persists.
  • Update HP Smart Software: Ensure that you have the latest version of the HP Smart software installed on your computer. If not, update the software to the latest version from the official HP website or your computer's app store.
  • Check Printer Connection: Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer or network. If it's a wireless printer, check the Wi-Fi connection and make sure it is connected to the same network as your computer.
  • Restart Your Computer: Sometimes, restarting your computer can help resolve communication issues between the printer and the software.
  • Check for Error Messages: Access the HP Smart software on your computer and check for any specific error messages or notifications that might give more details about the problem.
  • Run Printer Troubleshooter: Many operating systems have built-in printer troubleshooters. Use your computer's printer troubleshooter to diagnose and fix any potential issues.
  • Reinstall HP Smart Software: If the problem persists, try uninstalling the HP Smart software from your computer and then reinstalling it. This process can sometimes resolve software-related issues.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Visit the HP support website and check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model. Follow the instructions provided by HP to update the printer's firmware.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you Alden for your reply.  I had already tried all of your suggestions but nothing helps.  As I had mention in my original post, I have only had this printer for about two weeks.  All of the software and drivers are up to date.  

Sometimes I have to turn it off and on to get it printing but if it sits for a bit then when I go to print the "!" is back and I have to turn it off and on again.  Nothing seems to help.  I'm about ready to take it back to the store for a refund.

HP Recommended

Hi @Rosita27,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.