Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm from Sri Lanka and I'm currently using an HP 2515 printer. I recently purchased two cartridges, but unfortunately, only the color one is functioning properly. The black cartridge is displaying an incompatible error. Could you please assist me with this issue?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Milinda140,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It's frustrating to deal with printer cartridge issues, especially when you need to use your printer. Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve the "incompatible cartridge" error on your HP 2515 printer:

Reset the Printer:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source.
  • Wait for about a minute.
  • Plug the printer back in and turn it on. This can sometimes clear error messages.

Check the Cartridge Compatibility:

• Ensure that the black cartridge you purchased is compatible with the HP 2515 printer. The HP 2515 typically uses HP 650 or HP 61 cartridges depending on your region. Since you're in Sri Lanka, it's likely HP 650. Double-check to make sure you purchased the correct model.

Inspect and Clean the Cartridge and Cartridge Contacts:

• Remove the black cartridge from the printer.
  • Check the cartridge and the inside of the printer for any protective tape or plastic that may not have been removed.
  • Use a clean, lint-free cloth slightly dampened with water to gently wipe the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge and the contacts inside the printer where the cartridge fits. This helps ensure a good connection between the cartridge and the printer.
  • Allow the contacts to dry completely before reinserting the cartridge.

Reinstall the Cartridge:

• Make sure the cartridge is properly seated in its slot. It should click into place.
  • Close any open doors on the printer.

Check for Firmware Updates:

• Sometimes, updating the printer’s firmware can resolve compatibility issues. Check the HP website for any firmware updates available for your printer model.

Try Another Cartridge:

• If possible, try using another new black cartridge. There could be a defect with the cartridge itself.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.