Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had the same thing happen in November 2012.  I LOVE my printer.  It was working with the bookend on it, but now it says it can't communicate with the computer.  I've unplugged it and restarted computer and printer a few times.  Help!!!  I need to print 2013 calendar.  I tried to go on hp chat...ha!!! out of warranty. :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

I loved my printer too!   If you broke the hinge back in Nov and are using a bookend as weight, my guess is that work around is no longer working.  The only way I fixed my problem was to just lift the top up and back far enough to break the other hinge.  I had someone hold the top while I unscrewed the broken pieces from the top, then it would sit flat back on the printer with no 'communication problem'.  It is unnerving to break the other hinge, but it was really no big deal.  It wAS  just the easiest way I could find to get the top to lay flat again.  I put duct tape on the back where the hinges used to be and it holds well enough to change ribbons, when needed.   

HP Recommended
I've been using the printer since November the day I broke it. I found the heavist bookend and put it on left side as it was the left hinge broke. That holds it down well enough to connect it. What happened then was it would not communicate with the computer last night. I went to the website and updated software, firmware, drivers, ... everything I could find. That solved the problem & the computer and printer are working together again!!! I'm do happy. We do need to start an email campaign to HP about the hinge problem.
HP Recommended

They need an email campaign for all of the problems they do not handle w/their customers,this is just one of many unhandled product problems that they have,  they never take care of or answer anything you try to talk to them about.  Maybe everybody just needs to boycot them, that is the only way they will fix this problem.

HP Recommended

Cannot agree more!   HP does Minot know ANYTHING about customer support!!!!! Just had to vent! Happy New Year!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your detailed description of fixing these hinges. Beats throwing an otherwise good printer in the trash/landfill. Just does not make sence why the HP Chinese made printer would put in cheap hinges.

HP Recommended
I had the same problem today with the left hinge coming apart. Had trouble getting the hinge off, as others have recommended, so went to plan B:

Easy temporary fix that extends lenght of tab that depresses the cut-off spring/switch:

Materials:

One plastic closure tab--the sort that comes with bagged baked goods--measuring about 1-1/4 inch x 7/8 inch.

Celophane tape (Scotch tape or generic)

Kitchen shears

Instructions:

Cut the tab in two, lenghwise. Trim any bits poking out from the sides and slightly angle the bottom corners of both pieces.  Open the printer top (aka door), and tape these like a sandwich around both sides of the tab-shaped pin on the left underside of the top/door. Carefully  lower the top so that the new, extended bits of baked-goods tab poke down into the slot in the surface and depress the spring/switch, adjusting angle as necessary. 

This depresses the cut-off spring /switch enough to turn off the "door open" warning and permit the machine to operate.

NOTE: The top will likely still be misaligned, so the document feeder won't work.  Also, dust will be able to come in through the gap where the top and bottom don't meet, so it would be good to use something as a dust cover.

HP Recommended

My hinges have been broken for three years.  I finally gave up and bought another all-in-one a while back.

BUT ... there is nothing wrong with my J6480 except for the hinges on the flat bed scanner.  I have decided to buy a 3D printer and make the **bleep** things myself.

I'll let you know how it goes and how much it costs me to make them.  if the hinges work I'll make you ALL hinges for the cost and postage!!

HP Recommended

Clearly the hinge design was planned obsolescence, HP prefers it's owners not use their printers for more then 5 years.  I had purchased mine in '09, so I guess I got a pretty good run.  Ink cartrige prices will continue to rise as they produce fewer and fewer of them for remaining customers.  I still own an old HP printer purchased in '98 that will work when required, but I'm not sure where I'll find ink for it now.  

As my printer just broke today, I'm going to try the remove-the-hinge options; seems that should do the trick. Thanks to you all for the advice! 

HP Recommended
I need a maintenance Manuel and the replacement hinge. Where can I get both?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.