Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my printer will not print yellow colour.

The Yellow cartridge is full

The print heads are clean

There are no error messages on screen

A Quality Diagnostics page prints well without lines except no yellow

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Though you have cleaned the printhead already, I recommend you to clean the printhead again and calibrate the linefeed.

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

1. Load plain white paper into the input tray.

2. Press the Setup button.

3. Select Tools.

4. Select Clean Printhead.

5. Wait while the printer cleans the printhead.

6. A test page prints after the printhead is cleaned.

Figure : Clean the printhead test page

Image: Clean the printhead test page
  • If there are no defects on the page, then you do not need to continue.

• If there are defects on the page, repeat the clean printhead steps.

Then calibrate the linefeed

3. Select Tools.

4. Select Calibrate Linefeed.

5. Press OK.

6. Print another Print Quality Diagnostic Page to see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, Printhead will have to be replaced.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that your printer is not printing in yellow. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

When did this issue start?

Did you do any changes to the printer?

Meanwhile

1. Open the product lid. The carriage moves to the left side of the product.

If the carriage does not move to the left side, press and hold the OK button until the carriage moves. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

2. Look in the center of the product for the four ink tubes that connect to the printhead, and then examine the ink tubes. The ink tubes should be bundled neatly, and they should not appear kinked or bent.

Figure : Ink tubes, correctly bundled and not kinked

Image: Ink tubes, correctly bundled and not kinked.
  • If the ink tubes are bundled correctly and are not kinked, continue to the next step.

• If the ink tubes are bundled incorrectly but do not appear to be kinked, service the product. 

• If the black or yellow tube is kinked, replace the black and yellow printhead.

You can refer this HP Document for more assistance: https://hp.care/2wOzFua

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000227 EndHTML:000001346 StartFragment:000000827 EndFragment:000001302 StartSelection:000000827 EndSelection:000001296 SourceURL:wlmailhtml:{1DF52EE5-732F-4C0F-A2C0-F1AFF8075ADF}mid://00000012/sandytechy20 mentioned you in HP Support Forum

Many thanks
My printer stopped printing yellow without any changes being made. My yellow cartridge level was low so I renewed the cartridge – HP genuine. It still does not print yellow. The ink tubes are OK
Appreciate your help.
I have rebooted the printer a few times and doesn’t make any difference.
Alan

HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Though you have cleaned the printhead already, I recommend you to clean the printhead again and calibrate the linefeed.

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

3. Select Tools.

4. Select Clean Printhead.

5. Wait while the printer cleans the printhead.

6. A test page prints after the printhead is cleaned.

Figure : Clean the printhead test page

Image: Clean the printhead test page
  • If there are no defects on the page, then you do not need to continue.

• If there are defects on the page, repeat the clean printhead steps.

Then calibrate the linefeed

3. Select Tools.

4. Select Calibrate Linefeed.

5. Press OK.

6. Print another Print Quality Diagnostic Page to see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, Printhead will have to be replaced.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks Sandy

I have cleaned the printhead without any change.

I have not calibrated the linefeed as I have no lines or spaces on the quality diagnostics page. I think the problem lies elsewhere

HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thanks for the response.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks sandy

I have renewed the black/yellow printhead which has solved the problem

HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thanks for the response,

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was surprised that the quality print out showed print head as 'healthy' when obviously the black/yellow printhead had failed on the yellow side. how does the printhead work? can it be repaired. replacing the printhead was not suggested in any of the troubleshooting  except when lines or gaps appeared in the quality printout blocks.

the reason i changed the printhead was a failure to align the printheads and there was little left to check to get the yellow ink flowing again

HP Recommended

@alanc2

Thank you for writing back to us.

Sometimes the print-heads will go bad after it is used for long period of time.

This can not be manually repaired.

Let me know if you want more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.